Hosted by Darren Baker
HEMTT suggestions
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC
I am looking at buying Italeri's M977 cargo HEMTT and/or M978 tanker HEMTT and am not finding much in the way of information on either. I saw a review of the M978 but was wondering about the M977. Is it a good kit? What is in the interior? Does it contain the rear crane? What would need to be done to bring it up to OIF standards? Any recommendations on AM wheels (cost, details, etc)?

How are the Pro Art resin kits?

Basically I am looking for any and all information about this before I buy it.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC
The Italeri kit is pretty good. It does include the rear crane. Only thing that needs attention is the tires. They ae O.K., but would look better with resin replacements. CAM does a set of resin wheels for about $20. Nothing is needed to bring it up to OIF standards. The HEMMT really hasn't changed much over the years. Sorry, don't know anything about the Pro Art resin sets or it.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 05:02 AM UTC
I think they are the only game in town. That is for a reasonable amount of money!
capnjock
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC
Thanks, Gino. I looked at the one in your gallery and it doesn't look too bad. Two follow-ups:

What about decals? Since the kit is decaled for ODS and before, is there any replacements available, HEMTT specific or generic?

I have seen some HEMTTs with ring-mounted turrets. Is this just a hole cut in the roof and a ring mount welded on or is this a factory mod?

Jeff
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 05:34 AM UTC
There is a removable panel in the roof and a standard ring mount attaches to points on the cab frame. I used to have scans in the old motor pool gallery. They are probably on my home PC.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two follow-ups:

What about decals? Since the kit is decaled for ODS and before, is there any replacements available, HEMTT specific or generic?

You can put basically any generic bumper numbers on them. Most heavy units have HEMMTs in their HQ company. MLRS has them in each battery as ammo trucks. I think engineers have them in each company as well.

Quoted Text

I have seen some HEMTTs with ring-mounted turrets. Is this just a hole cut in the roof and a ring mount welded on or is this a factory mod?

Sabot covered the ring mount, basically, the top panel unbolts, and a new panel with the hole and a rubber bumper around it is installed. The ring mount is attached to the cab with square stock legs that attach two on the front and one rear. They are all part of a kit that can be ordered and installed by the unit. Italeri has molded the removable panel as part of the roof. All you would need to do is cut a circular hole in it and build up a ring around it. Then make the legs attached to s standard ring mount. Shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
I've built the M977 a while ago and there are basically two things I didn't like about the kit: the tires and steering detail. The tires are just wrong and should be replaced right away - besides the ones mentioned by Gino, I think Tank Workshop makes a set or two. Second - there is no steering links or any of the steering mechanism - comparing to a real HEMTT, the kit looks very empty and should be heavily detailed in this area - in my opinion. On the other hand, the fit is pretty good - especially the cab.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:26 AM UTC
If you buy the fuel version you can paint it up in UK cammo colours it's been selected as the replacement for the aging Foden fleet of tankers which have also fallen foul of new EU saftey regs
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info.

Jeff
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:59 AM UTC
I might be able to help a bit with the ring mount area. Take a look at this picture:

http://data.primeportal.net/ngops/don/cng030605/DSC00170.JPG

And here is one that is not modified up for the ring mount. You can see the panel that must be removed:

http://data.primeportal.net/ngops/don/cng040205/Dsc00710.jpg

There are plenty more pictures on the site if you need reference.

Hope this helps

Don Busack
HOWIETANK
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:56 PM UTC
The italeri fuel tanker cannot be painted in british colours as suggested because this version is not being put in service by the british forces.The MOD has selected a completely new design by Oshkosh that is based on the MTVR.This looks look a smaller version off the HET.
Check out the Oshkosh website for lots of nice pics!

Paul
 _GOTOTOP