_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Diorama Groups?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:06 PM UTC
I noted that I haven't yet created any groups for the Diorama Board. Any suggestions?

CrisMag's 1/72 scale dio made me think of Braille Scale of course. And A/C dios should probably have their own area (not that we have many building those as yet).

Whatcha think?

Jim
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:09 PM UTC
Okay, but for 1/35, I would at least divide them by era.

Nic
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
I'ld like to say that us guys and gals with magnifying glasses dangling before our eyes could hold our own with the 1/35 scalers, but I know from experience at IPMS that the gongs go to the biggest, fastest and meanest. I'm not sure how to go about dividing things up other than by scale and era. CrisMag's great job would sure overwhelm something like a scene from the Charge of the Light Brigade in 1/72 or the Kuwaiti Highway Patrol in 1/72
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 06:28 AM UTC
It may be interesting to make a distinction between man-made (buildings, roads, fences, barbed wire, signposts, lights, ruins, ...) and nature (water, beaches, dirt, ice, vegetation, snow,... ) ?
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hola Jan,
I think I understand what you mean, however, where do you classify a dio thats in the woods with an ol outhouse and fence, and there is a small waterfall with tree's around it?

Why not just classify it as small scale/1.35th/ large scale and the different catergories such as WW2, WW1, 1800's, Medeival, Vietnam, Gulf (modern) etc etc.

Just some food for thought
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 10:55 AM UTC
Anders,
I must have misunderstood the intention. I thought the Diorama forum needed splitting up.
In your scenario, I'd certainly include a modern (post WWII) army section too.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 04:53 PM UTC
I'm not SURE we need to split it up... diorama builders all share many things in common, regardless of scale, period, or emphasis... we all tend to do figures, armor, buildings, water., roadways, etc... .. as such, we can all learn tricks in the general section of Dioramas. If I was going to do sub-sections, I'd suggest the following:

1:35 Scale
- 1900's to Present (basically WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Middle East
- Pre 1900's (Civil War, Naploleanic, Romans, etc.)
- Scratchbuilt (any period)

Other Scales (only because they are far fewer in number - ie, 1:72 or 1:16th)
- 1900's to Present (basically WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Middle East
- Pre 1900's (Civil War, Naploleanic, Romans, etc.)
- scratchbuilt (any period)

crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 280 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC
HI guys! i just think that the diorama forum should stay as it is because all of us share the same passion in building a scene using different materials and be as creative. here, ive learned a lot of techniques and tips, that i think others have, and made use of it in their own creation. here we are not divided by the era of the dio we are building coz whatever we do, we do it with the things we learnand share with each other i truly have been at home here and i consider all of you guys my friends... so lets not divide, well, thats my opinion
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
How about a section for vignettes vs. full dios (yea I know - I hit that can of worms, what consitutes a dio. vs a vign. ??)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 08:26 AM UTC
As a point of reference, when talking to my customers, I describe the difference between them this way

... with a VIGNETTE, I think in terms of a single main element with a minor backdrop... atired and weary soldier smoking a cigarette in a doorway.

A DIORAMA is more "panaramic"... the solider smoking in the doorway of a small cafe, while a patrol of soldiers is walking by the cafe on the way back from the front lines.... In essence, a grouping of vignettes... each little vignette has it's own momentary story, and the combination of all the stories at once is the full diorama.

Just a thought...
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 02:01 PM UTC
Hola
I think that I should say that KFMagee's explination is probably one of the best explinations Ive heard about the differences in a dio and vignette.
Just wanted to say thanks
 _GOTOTOP