Hosted by Darren Baker
American Civil War house in progress
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hello friend, this is my new piece . Is a reproduction of Innis House from Frederickburg battle site.
Is made entirely in plastic. First I make a structure with 3 mm thick plastic and afther I put the clap side strips.
I hope that are interesting for us.
Carlos

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:12 PM UTC
welll what to say Carlos ure the master of the buildings . New technique but ure skill is a masters as always !!!! waiting toi see the finishing of it !!!!

Congrats
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:49 PM UTC
Lol Carlos, when are you gonna sell these things? You can become a rich person!! :-)

Great job!

Martin
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:03 PM UTC
Wow! That's a nice piece blockhaus!

How did you make those windows with the blinds? Those are very well detailed.

Amazing!

Angela
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:38 PM UTC
¡Hola Carlos! superb. (as usual) Tell me something, could you advise me on a source for (largish) quantities of plastic sheet here in Spain?...Un saludo, Jim
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:27 PM UTC
Carlos excellent work again, you truly are a master at this. I would love to know how you made the shutters. Cheers Kevin
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hello All for your nice words,
MArtin, these house is for a guy that have a company that make ACW soldiers
Jim, I buy plastic sheet in a shop that sold industrial goodies here in Barcelona, I know that in MadriI have another but I not know if in La Coruña have this type of bussines,please see at yellow pages under "plastics" label. You can find also warning posters that hare from plastic and big surfaces as Leroy Martin
Angela and Jackhammer I make the sutllers with bits of clapside from Evergreen at 1/87 scale sorrunded with strips of plastic.
Carlos
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC
Carlos, thanks - I have a signmaker up the road from me. Think I might pay him a visit...Jim
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:49 AM UTC
Looking good Carlos. Another masterpiece from your skilfull hands.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:57 AM UTC
Fredericksburg is famous for "the wall" during the Battle of Fredericksburg. How are you going to use your house in the scene?
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:13 AM UTC
A very nice and a different piece this time, Carlos. Looks perfect. It will be amazing when painted.
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
Carlos,

Very well done, I am very interested in see the completed house.

Cheers

Jay
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
Carlos this is super, and I hate to nitpick, but this is too nice a project to not point out one detail.

Here is a pic of the house:

Look how the clapboards don't lineup to the left of the windows.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hello John
you are right, there are two clapboard types in this facade.
This piece is an original for a company that manufactures toy soldiers for collectors.When I began to work in this piece I had to decide that image wanted to give of the house. I could make a realistic work or a "ideal" reconstruction of her. The toy soldiers don't have such a realistic aspect as the figures that we use and I wanted that my piece followed the same style. It was a difficult decision but at the end I chose the image that you see in the pictures. I was looking for information of this house in the net, but I was not able to find anything but that 6 pictures, some of which sent them to me kindly some participants of Armorama. A boy that lives in that town even offered to send me but pictures, but the day that the one tried to make them the house was no longer in its place, alone there was a great hole in its place. I also read that this house had been used by snipers during the battle and that it had been repaired later on. I observed that the houses of this style use wood that go from an end to another of the house, although of course I have not seen so many pictures or I am so expert in American colonial architecture to affirm that it is always also in this matter. I consult several American books of doll houses to see if there was some reference to this type of houses and they always put the whole wood. Basing me on all these records decided to put the whole wood, in this case it considers but important that the piece was "beautiful" or "idealized" that that was absolutely realistic. I assume that it is a debatable decision and I am happy of being able to talk about it in this forum
best whises
Carlos
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 04:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the explination Carlos - I would have done the same as you have in that situation!

John
MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
Carlos:

Just a beautiful job on that clapboard house model from the battle site of Fredericksburg. I am a reader of the American War Between the States history and finally got to go to Virginia from my home in Kansas several years ago. I spent almost 19 days in Virginia. I walked around that house when I spent four days in Fredericksburg. A tragic day in our history but very inspirational to be able to visit the battlefields. You're doing a beautiful job. I am eager to see more pix.

Kind regards,

dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
Wow!! This is marvelous!! It must have taken a lot of time, with all that cutting and trimming, to make everything fit together. But the final effect is incredible. And I hardly ever work with plastic. I guess it's time to change that. Cheers!!

dsc.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:53 AM UTC
seeing how I live in Fredericksburg, I might have a say on this one! Looks like a good ol' Freddy house to me, I'm glad you made the doors and windows narrow, because a lot of the buildings in my town are like that, even the ones post American Civil War. The shutters are very well done. I was almost goin to say the slant of the right part of the house is too steep, but it looks just right. Awsome job, means a lot that you're recreating a great battle that occured about 5 minutes from my house

Quoted Text

I also read that this house had been used by snipers during the battle and that it had been repaired later on

that is true. There are actually bullet holes still visible in the house. I could try to go there sometime this week and take some pictures through the window of the house if you'd like.

-Shain
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC
Carlos:

You continue to impress me with your abilities in all different mediums. Cork, plastic, etc...you can do it all. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks!

John
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:18 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your nice words.

Shain:
I will be very glad is you can make some photos of the sides of the house and the roof . I suposse that roof is made with wood tiles, but, Know you the measures(aprox:.) that these tiles can be?

best whises
CArlos
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for your nice words.

Shain:
I will be very glad is you can make some photos of the sides of the house and the roof . I suposse that roof is made with wood tiles, but, Know you the measures(aprox:.) that these tiles can be?

best whises
CArlos

will do, today after i go to the gym, if you would like PM me your e-mail address and I can send them to you.
 _GOTOTOP