Hosted by Darren Baker
F15
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC
My CMP F15 (Ford 15cwt), using parts from a Tamiya FGT and Italeri 15cwt Chevy. I wonder who'll be first to spot the mistake that I didn't see myself until I'd finished the model and looked through the camera!

The cab rear btw is bent from 1mm sheet using a former and boiling water ( take care if you try this!), even though I then plunged it into cold water to set it the off-side still sprang out a little later!
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
Nice job Dave. I like the weathering even though some more dirt on the windshield with the exception of the wipers path would make more sense, but that's just me. Overall, a very nice depiction of the Ford. In terms of the mistake...I would guess the steering wheel that is mounted on the left? It's just a guess since I am not accustomed to this vehicle at all.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In terms of the mistake...I would guess the steering wheel that is mounted on the left?

Thanks for the compliments. No, the steering wheel isn't the error, these trucks were right hand drive as built.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:54 AM UTC
A lovely and well made truck, well done.
Is the mistake that the front and rear wheels have different hubs??
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A lovely and well made truck, well done.
Is the mistake that the front and rear wheels have different hubs??

Thanks Andy, nope, the hubs are correct. Give everyone a clue - it's above wheel level and near the front! I know that if Cliff see's this he'll spot it straight away!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi Dave!
This one is a sweet little truck! You've done very good job kitbashing this one. I like the result very much!

Cheers,
Pedro
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:51 AM UTC
Is it a building error, or is it a manufacturer error? My guess is a gap between the fender and the engine cover? I've never heard of the truck much less studied it in detail, so Cliff or other expert will have to get it.

Jeff
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it a building error, or is it a manufacturer error? My guess is a gap between the fender and the engine cover? I've never heard of the truck much less studied it in detail, so Cliff or other expert will have to get it.

Jeff

It's definitely a man made error - I checked my references before I built it, and then put them away! Should have kept them on the bench with me instead.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC
Could it be the left front leaf spring per chance?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could it be the left front leaf spring per chance?

I'll put you all out of your misery.
I had to narrow the windscreen which meant making a new frame. Instead of following my references I cut down the kit screen from the wrong end - the outer sides should be vertical instead of following the gun tractors angled pattern!
By the time I noticed the truck was finished and photographed!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
very nicely done Dave. Another fault is that the fuel tanks are too far forward. they should not be that far forward.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

very nicely done Dave. Another fault is that the fuel tanks are too far forward. they should not be that far forward.

Definitely didn't see that one mate - I think this'll be relegated to a dark and dingy corner!! At least no-one here will realie the errors but I'll know they're there!

Just had another look - if the tanks were much further back they'd foul the rear spring mounts, so maybe even though this is a 101" wheelbase chassis perhaps it's wrong for an F15?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC
Dave the fault is more likely to be the Tamiya Quad cab. It is more 1/32 scale then 1/35 and that extra 2 or 3 mm can make a large difference in areas like this.

The tank should end at the back of the step plates and the cab should end at the front strap on the tank.

But do not put it in a dark corner it is still a real nice model
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Dave, I don't know how you could sleep at night with that glaring error. Shame, shame :-) :-) :-) I wouldn't have known had you not said something. A nice build. Thanks for sharing your pics. "Q"
rjray
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[I think this'll be relegated to a dark and dingy corner!! At least no-one here will realie the errors but I'll know they're there!

Bollocks. That's a fine piece of work there. Hide that in a corner, my ass. I'd be happy to have that on my shelf. (I'd be happy these days to just have enough free time to finish anything.)
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bollocks. That's a fine piece of work there. Hide that in a corner, my ass. I'd be happy to have that on my shelf. (I'd be happy these days to just have enough free time to finish anything.)

Hmm, if it was not for a small grammatical error, you could have fooled us into thinking you're from this side of the pond. But your spelling of the word 'bottom' gives the game away I'm affraid.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC
Thanks for your support guys, maybe I won't hide it away after all. It's just annoying to put work into something and only find the mistakes AFTER it's all completed!! I'm annoyed with myself for just not checking everything more thoroughly as I went along.
A lesson for others there!!

A mis-match between the Tamiya parts and the Italeri ones didn't even enter my thoughts. My last Ford CMP only used the Tamiya front end on an Italeri chassis so the tank error didn't occur, especially as the chassis was cut and extended. I guess also I've got so used to converting shermans where I've used parts from 4 or 5 different manufacturers and they've all fitted together ok!

Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
It's a wonderful little truck you got there, mate! Very well painted and weathered... as for the fault pointed by you, I would do what one does with the kits one built as a beginner and one loves them as much as the master pieces- put it in a special place.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:02 PM UTC
Very nice truck Dave, very nice indeed. The paintjob and weathering is superb.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:47 PM UTC
i like the weathering and tires..very nice truck. may i add..that exhaust pipe must not be that close to the fuel tank. i don't know with the shifter and handbrake..maybe its the righthand drive thing i guess. over this part of the world..we're used to customizing trucks. your's is a good example if its real. i like it..thanks for sharing,
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i like the weathering and tires..very nice truck. may i add..that exhaust pipe must not be that close to the fuel tank. i don't know with the shifter and handbrake..maybe its the righthand drive thing i guess. over this part of the world..we're used to customizing trucks. your's is a good example if its real. i like it..thanks for sharing,

It was a real truck Liberator, thousands of the Ford & Chevy CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) trucks shifted more gear across the desert and between Normandy and the front line than any other truck (possibly outdone anly by the Deuce & a half GMC, I'm not sure on that one!). The exhaust and tank really were that close,even closer if I'd got the tank position right; and the shifter and handbrake are right to!

Thanks again for the compliments guys.
rjray
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, if it was not for a small grammatical error, you could have fooled us into thinking you're from this side of the pond. But your spelling of the word 'bottom' gives the game away I'm affraid.

Damn, my cover's been blown...
 _GOTOTOP