_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Fuel Drum seams
NVAnut
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2005 - 03:45 AM UTC
I'd like to know tips and techniques on how to remove the seam lines between the 2 halves of fuel drums on russian tanks, especially drums that have tie-down details or raised details? I'm also aware of PE drum sets. Any one used these and any comments/tips?Thanks.
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi NVAnut:

First off, welcome to Armorama! Nice to have you here.

If you are working with barrels that you have to assemble the two halves, then I recommend you use a plastic bonder such as tenax. It actually melts the plastic together. When you apply it to the seam, gently squeeze the halves together which will cause some plastic to ooze out. Let it harden completely, then take the side of a #11 blade and gently scrape the excess plastic off.

That's how I do it anyway. Hope this helps!

John
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2005 - 04:45 AM UTC
Basicly you fill the gap the same way you get rid of the seams on the gun barrel. Some guys fill it with Zap-a-Gap super glue, some use putty or other fillers. Pesonaly I use Glazing and Spot putty by Bondo. Once the gap is filled just sand it smooth.

John's method works well also.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to know tips and techniques on how to remove the seam lines between the 2 halves of fuel drums on russian tanks, especially drums that have tie-down details or raised details? I'm also aware of PE drum sets. Any one used these and any comments/tips?Thanks.

Had this problem as well. The issue for me is the raised details such as the tie-downs or thermal sleeves (barrels). I make a real dog's dinner of it usually and go for the after market barrel back-up often...
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 01:26 AM UTC
Do not forget preparation BEFORE cementing. I cut off the locating pins flush and LIGHTLY sand the mating surfaces on a sanding block. You just want to sand enough to get any microscopic flash of and to get the faces in one plane. I'm talking three or four swipes on 320 grit paper. . . If you look at the cementing face and the sheen has ben taken off all around, you're fine.

KL
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
I could be wrong here as I don't know as much about Russian armor as other countries, but didn't some of the fuel drums on tanks have weld lines? I know that some of the models I have seen (done by modelers who are very knowledgeable about Russian armor) have weld lines. If I am wrong please tell me, otherwise you could replicate the weld line where the seam is.
Regards,
Robert
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I could be wrong here as I don't know as much about Russian armor as other countries, but didn't some of the fuel drums on tanks have weld lines? I know that some of the models I have seen (done by modelers who are very knowledgeable about Russian armor) have weld lines. If I am wrong please tell me, otherwise you could replicate the weld line where the seam is.
Regards,
Robert

If I'm correct, the fuel drums are made of a rolled sheet of metal so you'll have one weld line not two like with those issued in the kits. But it is really hard to see even in real.
olivier
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
Thanks bison126, makes sense now.
Regards,
Robert
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 10:40 AM UTC
I apply tamiya extra thin glue to the seams I wish to remove. Let the glue melt the plastic a little, Ithen sand the area. It works for me...

Cheers
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 07:12 PM UTC
Personally, I just throw the barrels away and don't worry about it. Just kidding......I've used the techniques that everyone listed above and have found them all to work very well.
 _GOTOTOP