1/72 Dragon AAV-7A1
Wanze
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:29 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

After a long absence from the forums, I am glad to be back. As a brailler, it was quite a long wait before Dragon came out with their AAV7A1. Despite its soft details and white metal hull, I welcomed the arrival of the kit and was quite excited with the build. After constuction, I painted it with Tamiya NATO colour paints. I weathered it using a blackwash for shadows and depth. I used pastels for dust. Overall, it was a nice build but I hope Dragon comes out with the up-armoured version soon and in plastic.

Some of the mods that I did:
I had to thin the front glacis of the turret because it was quite thick and not to scale.

Added a little detail at the back of each smoke discharger using lead foil (from discarded tube glues).

Removed the white metal hinge that made the loading ramp open and close. Then I permanently glued the ramp in place.

Replaced the thick plastic hand holds on the side with thin wire for better scale.

I hope you enjoyed the pics. Comments are welocme too.

Best,
Wanze
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 11:48 PM UTC
Looks good, you eliminated the big nasty seam that went around the circumference of the vehicle. They need to reissue this kit in all plastic.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
You camo looks great...even more so because its in 1/72 scale!

DJC
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC
That looks great.

Mine still needs some finishing touches and I will certainly be referring back to your model.

I don't mind the die cast hull, although it is a bugger to eliminate that seam. The weight of the model ensures that it sits well (even if that is my imagination).

David
Wanze
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 02:12 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments!

Scott,

I airbrushed the camou on with my badger 150 with a fine needle installed. It was done freehand. After years of practice (& frustartion), I am now happy with my freehand airbrush technique.

DJC,

Glad to be of help and if you have any questions, just ask away.

Best,
Wanze
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC
That's a really nice bit of work on the camo scheme, especially. I have this kit, and it's good to see it can be built so nicely.
 _GOTOTOP