_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Any thoughts on the AFV Club Pak 8.8?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:34 AM UTC
I picke up this kit on a whim. The price was right and no one was bidding on it on eBay. I've seen the review on Perth and a few other sites, but would like to hear some first person feedback on their experiences with the kit.

It is an impressive model with lots of photo etch for the shields and other dressing. I see there is a set of machined bolts for the gun shields. Has anyone had enough problems with the plastic shield bolts to recommend spending an additional $8-9 on the brass bolts?

One paint scheme that looks interesting is a German grey gun tube with the rest of the kit panzer yellow. I assume this represents a gun that had the tube replaced with one still in grey.
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
Sabot,
If you are talking about the pak 43, it is an excellent kit. So much that I have built two. I would recommend the brass bolt shields as the kit plastic ones are fiddly and don't have the crispness of detail as the brass ones. Here is mine more in the gallery.

Regards,
Robert
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi Robin... I picked up the bolts heads and I'm very glad I did ..just trying to clean up those plastic ones would have driven me crazy... Remember at $8.00 you get enough for this kit and the 75mm gun sheild as well...
Nice kit by the way ..I'm a little worried about some of the attachement points.. Hard to get some of those pieces off without breaking them ...but that's more me than the kit...lol

Rick
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
I also recommend the bolt set very highly. You can do 3 PaK 40's from one set. The crispness and clarity is reason enough, but not having to cut the plasting ones from the tree and try to not lose them, that's worth $8 by itself.
Oatster
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC
It was a nice kit, the only problems I had were due to my inexperience. I must admit, I am not a big fan of the softer plastic that AFV Club uses...glue can destroy details if not applied sparingly. That being said, I plan on getting the AFV Club 251/22 instead of the Dragon offering so that I can use the rest of my bolts, and my experience on the 88 will help me with the construction.

I loved the brass bolts...the brass shield is great too!
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi;
I'm building AFV Club's PaK 43/41 and I'm really enjoying it. The kit is very well detailed, lottsa little parts to keep me happy!.. I've replaced the kit barrel with the Aber replacement set which is a great set! The barrel is rifled and the muzzle brake seems much better. The brass gun shields that come with the kit are really good too. I've used the kit's plastic bolts to join the gunshield pieces together and they're alright but I can see where the brass replacement set would be better. It hasn't made that much of a difference to me.

Anyone out there have experiences they want to share with this great kit of a great gun? Any horror stories or glaring innacuracies I don't know about? I'll post pics when I can.....

thanks;
'NebLWeffah'
 _GOTOTOP