_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Signal smoke colours?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
I had an idea of a dio with a Huey dropping troops in īNam. It could be maybe in 1/72 scale, to make a small quick scene. I would like to try to present signal smoke in the dio, the chopper blades would spread it around...
What smoke colours were used? Is there a strict guide what the different colours mean?
If the chopper is bringing reinforcements, what should the colour be? What if itīs a medic chopper?

Toni
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 03:38 AM UTC
I've heard of red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple smoke. As far as I know, there was no set assigned meaning for different colors except maybe right before an operation. This was to prevent the bad guys from finding out the color in use through radio intercepts, popping smoke themselves to spoof incoming choppers, and then suckering them into machine gun traps
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've heard of red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple smoke. As far as I know, there was no set assigned meaning for different colors except maybe right before an operation. This was to prevent the bad guys from finding out the color in use through radio intercepts, popping smoke themselves to spoof incoming choppers, and then suckering them into machine gun traps

100% correct, the signal smoke was only agreed prior to the operation or before the drop in order to avoid enemy for sucker the choppers into a trap.

How would you do the smoke thing, Toni, very interested to know.

By the way, who is this guy with the wicked gun? You?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How would you do the smoke thing, Toni, very interested to know.

He he. I will tell you...afterwards!
Ok ok. I thought I could try it out with multiple layers of cotton, some added feel of depth with airbrush...it means a lot of experimenting. Quoting myself, "clumsy effects can ruin a good diorama".

Quoted Text

By the way, who is this guy with the wicked gun? You?

Yes.

Toni

Oh, and thanks for the input! It seems the smokes were used as I thought they would.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 04:17 AM UTC
I believe there is white too. Iv'e got the Grenade Tm @ home. I'll check tonight.

HTH

Matt
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 06:16 AM UTC
...Violet

Oh, and don't pop white for the chopper pilots as they will avoid it due to the similarities with CS gas.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Colors don't seem to be in there
(FM 23-30)

Matt
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 09:53 AM UTC
The "purple" BlueBear lists is actually violet likes Kevin says.

In peacetime, red is the color used to call in real world MEDEVAC. Wartime color would be based on the operations order for that mission.

When red is used in training, it is to identify a real emergency that requires medical attention.

Yellow in training usually represents use of chemical weapons against friendly troops to train them in donning their chemical suits and protective masks and take necessary steps to identify the chemical agent and begin decomtamination procedures.

White is used to mask movement by creating smokescreens.

I don't recall ever seeing blue smoke grenades, but I do know there is green smoke.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 01:33 PM UTC
Yellow or violet followed by red for VN.
 _GOTOTOP