_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
M88 - finally some progress again!
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm happy to tell you I've finally made some progress again on my M88 ARV, which is my entry for the Mud, Sweat and Gears campaign.

The kit is the AFV club kit, built OOTB. Some PE is used but that was included in the kit.

I've painted the whole model in olive drab now. I used tamiya acrylics (XF-62). First I painted it just with XF-62 and then I painted a second layer with about 90% XF-62 and 10% XF-15 (matt flesh). I left the edges in the darker base colour to great some depth and to avoid that the tank looks a bit boring because it's just in 1 colour....how do you call it in English....breaking up the colour?

Now it's time to paint the details, like the spare tracks, periscopes, .50cal, equipment, etc, and I still have got to add and paint the tracks. I hope to do that this evening.

After that it's time to weather the tank a bit. It will be my first time to use pastels, and I want to thank Henk for providing me with some of this stuff in a nice Vietnam colour!

Well, enough talking for now, here are the pics. The OD looks a bit darker than it is in real, sorry, it's getting evening here already so the pics are a bit dark

Although it's not the easiest model it's a fun model to built and paint.....and it looks a whole lot different than a normal tank :-) Nice for a change!

Martin
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC
Martin, i think your doing a great job so far. Paint job so far looks great. I agree its nice to see something diffrent than just the "typical" tank. Can't wait to see more progress on this one.
Mary (++)
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin, i think your doing a great job so far. Paint job so far looks great. I agree its nice to see something diffrent than just the "typical" tank. Can't wait to see more progress on this one.
Mary (++)

Well I'm going to enjoy a cup of coffee now and work on the tracks this evening for 1.5 hours....should get somewhere in that time!

Martin
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 07:01 AM UTC
Looks great so far. I have the other version in my stash along with not only the exterior PE set but the interior kit as well. (added together more cost than the original kit, but then, what else is new :-) ). I'm intending to build a version from my Field Artilley unit from the early '90s era.

I'd have loved doing it for MSG, but with everything else on the plate, it's going to wait. When I build it, I'm sure I'll be asking you for advice!!

Tom
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:53 AM UTC
Good luck on your M88 then Tom. I'm sure you will like it! How about that interior kit? Is it AM or does it come with the AFV club kit? (I guess the first one)

An interior is very nice on this tank.....you can leave 4 hatches open so you can see it pretty good!

So....after another evening of working on my M88 I finished painting most of the wheels, and I've painted the cables of the - how do you call it? - lifting device and the towcables on the tank. I also painted the .50cal but I waited with the details because I like daylight for that......I couldn't see enough with just a lamp!

Hopefully I can complete it next weekend!

Martin
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about that interior kit? Is it AM or does it come with the AFV club kit? (I guess the first one)

Martin

Correct, it is aftermarket, the MR Models to be exact, and costs just about 2 x what the kit does!! :-) But while it is definitely not cheap, it is a very good set.

Tom
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How about that interior kit? Is it AM or does it come with the AFV club kit? (I guess the first one)

Martin

Correct, it is aftermarket, the MR Models to be exact, and costs just about 2 x what the kit does!! :-) But while it is definitely not cheap, it is a very good set.

Tom

Well as long as it's worth it's money.....

I've painted the detail on the tank, wheels are also painted, working on the tracks right now (cleaning, cleaning and cleaning....pfff)

Martin
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 05:51 PM UTC
Looking pretty good Martin. Looking forward to see more progress.
 _GOTOTOP