Hosted by Darren Baker
Revell Germany Bridgelayer Question
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 01:22 PM UTC
Have been looking at the RG Bridgelayer for a future project. Has anyone built one? How is the quality and accuracy? Basically..is it a worthwhile kit?

Thanks

Dave
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC
Good kit, many of the attachment points are weak due to the weight of the bridge. The instructions show the brigde can be posed in a number of positions from fully stored to fully deployed and points in between.

The problem is that unlike the actual tank which is heavier than the bridge, the model bridge is heavier than the model tank.

This leads to a predicament where you can't pose the bridge in a partially deployed state because it would tip over and show the tank with its rear treads in the air.

If you secured the tank to a base using screws, the semi-deployed bridge would weigh too much for the tiny plastic attachment points and could break off.

Best bet is to build the kit with the bridge fully deployed or full stored. It is a lot of kit for $10 though.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 01:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Rob. Had pretty much made up my mind on this...you just reinforced it.
DJC
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 08:45 PM UTC
Dave

I bought the kit a while ago but I haven't snipped any parts from the sprue yet.

Rather than using their Leo 1, Revell developed an entirely new kit and the roadwheels aren't as good as those that come with the Leo 1. I'll probably replace the roadwheels when I get around to building this one.

There was a good build article on the Modelstories site - http://modelstories.free.fr/ - but I can't find it and my inability to comprehend the French language doesn't help.

It had some useful tips for strengthening the bridge assembly.

David
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 04:04 PM UTC
Dave,I have the kit and started the bridge,so far so good.I haven't done 72nd scale for 20+ years but from what I rememeber compared to those old kits it's a nice "little" (I have the Elite 1/35 kit) kit.
Jim
 _GOTOTOP