_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Simulate Flames? Dust?
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC
hgei guys how can i simulate the flames from an exposion or the dust that flyes away when a big gun bullet hits the ground
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
Okay Vlady - you've hit on one of the hardest things to emulate in a diorama. Air / dust is just tough... there are only a few ways to do it.

For Bullets hitting ground and kicking up dust:

Pull a few strands of cotton, pull them into shape, and then hit them with hairspray. Once they are dry, glue them into place, and come back with an airbrush to color the threads along with the surrounding grounds. Then come back with a lighter tint and highlight the "dust" pillar.

Rising Smoke/ Flame:

Similar in methodology, but on a larger scale, and certainly HARDER to do convincingly.... This requires a heavier pull of the cotton ( I use sheets of surgical cotton roles). I begin by soaking this in a black stain overnight. I prefer to use a combination of black and medium green (which gives you a strange charcoal green grey / not dead black). Let the cotton soack overnight, and then take it our and let it dry naturally... may take several days. Once this is completely dry, begin by TWISTING a larger "chord" of cotton, and then pull away fraying strands around the edges. This will give you a "whispy" look. Once it looks right, hit it with hairspray, and repeat the steps above, using a light grey color airbrushed on the fringed areas.

If you MUST show flame, there is only one way I know to do this ... shreded strips of celophane plastic placed INSIDE of the unit, and then blown with a small rotary motor. I've only done this once, and it was for a tank scene. I was able to cut long strips of thin Orange and Amber Yellow celophane. I placed them inside the tank, with a small battery operated fan in the bottom of the tank which made a slight breeze, thereby flickering the "flames". I further obscurred this behind the aformentioned "rising smoke". I was not pleased with the effect of the flames, but the customer was happy, so what can I say? "Fire" is VERY hard to do.

Again - this is very difficult... I find I have to do several trials with cotton to get a passible effect. Do several at once so you can experiment.

Good Luck
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 08:18 AM UTC
I've never actually seen any dios using those techniques. Do you have any we could see, Keith? I really like the sounds of the first technique.

Nic
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 03:44 PM UTC
ACtually, I didnn't bother to photograph the "flaming tank"... but I think this might make a good Digital Diamond article... what do ya think? I'll use photos instead of drawings.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 04:10 PM UTC
Sounds good to me, Keith. I would like to see an article on both the smoke and puffs from bullets hitting the dirt.

Nic
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 06:53 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips Keith! I´m thinking about a chopper/signal smoke diorama and these tips sound useful...when I get to it, I´ll also post here how it goes. Signal smoke is probably easier because of its unnatural colour...

Toni
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hi,

Here is a the website of Sam Garcia.

http://miniaturesbygarcia.50megs.com/page56.html
http://miniaturesbygarcia.50megs.com/page39.html

Personaly, I would never do a fire scene, I heve never seen a good modeld fire before, I don't think it is possible
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 06:44 AM UTC
k. thz a lot. i had an idea for a dio but i don't think i will buil it ay more. i will try something easiera for start
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 08:28 AM UTC
Vlady,
I've seen the most spectacular water, ice, snow ... but NEVER I saw a diorama with fire that looked even the least bit convincing. But you never know... this is Armorama ?!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen the most spectacular water, ice, snow ... but NEVER I saw a diorama with fire that looked even the least bit convincing. But you never know... this is Armorama ?!

Ahmen to that Jan. It certainly is a challenge to do the wild thing with this.

I however do not feel up to it to do it right now. Got to gather a bit more experience first

I would love to see somebody do it !
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 10:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite true.. Although the dio Roadkill mentioned looks good, it still isn't convincing enough (for me, at least). I would rather do the smoke effects in Photoshop... perhaps it could be considered cheating, but I think that could be far more realistic.

Mario M.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 05:49 PM UTC
I think I can say it now...I think the fire in those two dios look awful and ruin the otherwise beautiful setting and excellent models. I have a feeling that convincing smoke can be achieved but flames...I wouldn´t bother even trying.

Today I´m gonna search for right kind of cotton and start experimenting with it...

Toni
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I can say it now...I think the fire in those two dios look awful and ruin the otherwise beautiful setting and excellent models. I have a feeling that convincing smoke can be achieved but flames...I wouldn´t bother even trying.

Today I´m gonna search for right kind of cotton and start experimenting with it...

Toni

I think the flame thrower looks pretty good. Seems to capture the essence of the flames without looking hokey.
Rifle0311
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC
I'm not a expert in making models but the flames and smoke on those pics look good to me, the only other way it could be done is to take a digital picture of the dio and then use a photo program (Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro) to insert the flame and smoke into the picture, the only draw back is if you wanted to enter a model contest....... to me every attempt to create something only leads to learning on how to make it better the next time.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...the only other way it could be done is to take a digital picture of the dio and then use a photo program (Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro) to insert the flame and smoke into the picture..

Yep, that was what I was thinking... Photoshop does miracles, but it could be considered cheating. Personaly, I like digital effects and think this is the best way for modeling smoke and flames...

Mario M.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

think I can say it now...I think the fire in those two dios look awful and ruin the otherwise beautiful setting and excellent models

Quoted Text

think the flame thrower looks pretty good. Seems to capture the essence of the flames without looking hokey

I second the first statement...... nothing "natural" about those flames......
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 05:51 AM UTC
thz guys and i think the flames are pretty good too
 _GOTOTOP