Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
KrAZ-255L trailer
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
Sorry for the poor quality photo. Here is the in progress shot of my Soviet fuel truck trailer for the Heavy Haulers group build. My kit is by IBG but all the sprues are labeled E-Klass and the kit is also boxed by ICM.

Very soft plastic kit that is molded in green and a dark gray and black. The plastic colors are designed so you would not have to paint the kit.

Not bad overall, but definitely not up to the quality of Revell or Dragon 1/72 scale armor kits. I was planning to dress this up some more, but the quality of the kit is not really worth it. Photos of the tractor did not turn out very well so I did not upload them.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
Wow - this is interesting - more photos please Rob!

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC
I am not familiar with this truck. Is it in service today? Looking forward to seeing some more photos. Some of the tractor?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
I do not know anything about the truck. It looks to be a line haul fueler that would top off the tactical fuel trucks so they in turn could refuel the combat tanks.

This kit comes with a variety of unused parts and some part numbers are duplicated and other times parts not identified in the diagrams need to be used on the kit.

Markings are for a Soviet, DDR (E.German) or Czech truck so it was in use at least around 1990 or prior.
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:11 PM UTC
Interesting kit but looks like work.
I think the trailer is indended to refuel planes.

Harald
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:56 PM UTC
I see you had to use Squadron's perfect kit in a tube, and in a few places. I wonder why it is some models like that warp that much.

I can see on a big ship hull, but that is only a 1/72 truck tank. Probably taking out of the molds to hot or something like that.

Kerry
Sabot
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 01:45 AM UTC
Harald is probably right. It seems bigger than our 5,000 gallon fuelers we use to top off HEMMT fuelers.

There isn't any warpage on the parts. It is just an inferior engineered model from former Soviet states. I'm also working on a 30 year old Esci scout car and it fits just fine.

This kit has no locating pins, the instructions are extremely vague, the parts layout are unnumbered except for a parts plan on the instruction sheet which does not depict or number all parts, some are numbered wrong, etc.

Just not a fun kit to work on.
 _GOTOTOP