_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trouble with Dragon's new tracks.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi, Has naybody out there had any problems with those new light tanish colored one-piece tracks that Dragon is putting into some of their kits?

I bought a 1/72 scale dragon E-100 this past week end and all was going pretty well until I got to those tracks. Before trying to put them on, I painted them with a black primer and then a very light coat of rust primer on top of this. Was having trouble getting them on the suspension so I was using CA to put them around the drive sproket to hold them in place. But after a short time they began to literally fall apart in this area where the CA was. Have tried it a couple more times and still the same thing happens.

I still have just enough track to run a row across the bottom and up over both the idler and drive sprocket and that's about it.

Now since this vehicle had those big overhanging covers on the sides, there really isn't a problem with not having any track along the top, as it wouldn't be seen anyway, but I also have one of this company's StuG late version in 1/72 and this model has the same type of tracks, so there is no room for a mistake here and all the track shows on this kit.

What am I doing wrong? Putting too much tension on the tracks in this area? Is there some kind of chemical reaction to the CA and these tracks? or maybe a little bit of both? Any ideas?

Thanks and take care, Sgirty.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:04 AM UTC
I haven't got any problems with the new ex tracks. It comes with all the new 3 in 1 series.
crossracer
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:26 AM UTC
My guess would be the primer, not the ca. Because the ca would have had to eat thru the primer to get to the tracks to disolve them. I'm working on the Stug right now, and i can tell you , the tracks are to long by three links per track. I've painted mine with tamiya kacki drb and they are doing fine. I know in earlier dragon kits i painted, the tracks did not react well to any kind of enamel paint or primer. It had to be acrilic. . Post this over in braille scale, you should get more responses.
Bill
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 01:01 AM UTC
If I am not mistaken the new magic tracks can be adhered with regular plastic cement. Maybe you should try that instead.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
yup, i tried using normal modelling cement (Tamiya extra thin cement) and it held together fine.

Just be careful not to apply too much, just a little at a time.

_GOTOTOP