Hosted by Darren Baker
SAS Jeep in pink
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 04:48 PM UTC
There's bee a couple of SAS jeep posted recently and I would like to add to that. This is the second time I made this kit. The first one I gave away to a friend.

Again mostly out of the box stuff except for the straps.

Spaghetti aglo a olio a la SAS

Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:22 PM UTC
Hi RD,

That looks very cool. Pink in a battlefield is quite a unique color but you did it very well. I like the way how you weathered the vehicle. It's all grundgy and flaky. Very cool.

A few things though.

1) I see a MAJOR fault. The sphagetti bowl is WAAAAYYY off scale. Hehehehe...

2) The straps holding the jerrycans at the back. I'm not sure but I think they should be much tighter. It's too loose. I think the longer side should also touch the jerrycans.

3) That rectangular thing with round holes at the back, strapped to the spare wheels. It's not painted yet, right?

Very nice model.

Angela
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hi Mondo, you've made a pretty reasonable job of assembling this this kit. I would like to point out a few things where improvement is possible for the future.

There appears to be a lot of shine on the figures, perhaps it's just the lights that were used, but a good flat finish would be better.
You can still see the mould lines on the tyres, a couple of minutes with a fine file or wet&dry paper would have got rid of these.
The actual colour of wartime vehicles was 'Light Stone', a hard colour to describe but actually a 'pale buff colour with just a hint of pink'. The brighter pink was used on the famous 'Pink Panther' Land Rovers in the 1960s & 1970s.

Don't take my criticisms too harshly, I'm still learning myself after 42 years in the hobby!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:35 PM UTC
Once again a real good build but too weathered to be realistic (see my comments in the LRDG chev thread) Also as Dave said the color was a light buff called Mid or light stone rather then pink. Also the sand plank tied to the back would have had two straps holding it. One at each end as they were not all that light.

Cheers
Cliff
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:45 PM UTC
Well, I like it a lot! It looks like pink was made for it! Otherwise, it's a very nice build! Very well weathered and painted! I agree with Angela in her comments but still it's a very well build! Congratulations!
Cheers and happy modeling!
Prato
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:53 PM UTC
I actually have an M3 Stuart by Tamiya painted pink all throughout. :-) I don't know why I did it.

I did forget to do the sand channels at the back.

Blame the spagehtti.

_GOTOTOP