_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Black primer?
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:48 PM UTC
Howdy!
I read somewhere, about people using black paint as a primer for armour models.
So Iīd like to give it a try, but Iīd like to know, what Iīll get using it (why to use?), and how to proceed to use it.
Any comments are welcomed!
Cheers!
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:05 PM UTC
Paulo,
I now use Polly S grimy black. It is a railroad color,kind of oily looking. But other guys I know use just plain flat black. Any brand, cheapest you can find. That way, if you miss any corners when you airbrush your final coat of paint, it isn't that noticeable.(sp).
Either spray straight from the can or spray some into a larger container and pur into your airbrush cup.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:32 PM UTC
Ron

After priming with black paint, how well does primary color cover? And do you sand first?

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC
I have had no problem with color coat coverage over black primer In fact, if you go light on the color coat, the model looks grimy. (how do you spell this word?)
That is why I like building armor, no sanding required except for parts clean-up
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
I'll think I give it a try, I am just about ready to prime a Tamiya jeep, and I know I have a can of Testor's flat black, I'll give it a shot.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC
Many thanks for all answers.

Pipesmoker, do you use it as a preshading(thatīs right?), if so do you chose to left some areas with just a cloud (???donīt know the word!) of light sprayed painting? For example, in crevices, etc.
Cheers!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
Paulo, when using black as a primer, it's primary purpose is for pre-shading. In order to achieve this, you need to AB your top coat lightly at first with sort of a plan of attack.
I start by spraying in the center of the panels first while slowly working the paint towards the edges of the panel lines. You don't want to completely cover the edges or the panel lines of the black. Ideally you want just a little of it to show through the top coat along the edges or panel lines of the model.
This way you create an artificial third dimension to the model. It really adds some depth to the surface. When done just weather as usual.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
Right....exactly what Ken said.
 _GOTOTOP