_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Vietnam
All things Vietnam
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jerrycans in Academy M551 kit - I was wrong!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
I must admit that one thing I criticized in Academy new Sheridan kit is actually correct!
I was informed (thanks Gary!) that plastic water jerrycans were actually used in Vietnam since about 1969. Suspicious type as I am, before I accepted that fact I started to browse through my whole collection of Nam war photos and... surprise! Indeed, plastic jerrycans can be seen on some photos, attached to M48 tanks (at least that's where I spotted them). One photo was dated February 1969.

So I must apologize Academy and everyone of you who started to remove such jerrycans from their Nam models - these cans are actually fully accurate, unless you build a pre-1969 model.

Pawel
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fair play to you Pawel. You´ve backed up all your statements and nobody can deny them. I will never buy this kit as its not my interest area, but if it was a kit I was interested in, this is the type of review Id appreciate. Good research, good review and I now know my Academy water cans Ive used are wrong for my Vietnam M8!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
This was my post from yesterdays thread. Seems like its safe to use them afterall. To tell the truth .... I had no intensions of not useing them. Now its just not going to niggle me. Cheers pawel. Its still a top review.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the correction, sir. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to double check. That is the sign of a good man.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC
Plastic water cans were ready for procurement in late 1968. No doubt trial items were in use before that.

See:

http://www.track-link.net/articles/1120

KL
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:50 PM UTC

Thanks for the link Kurt ! Just what I needed to scratchbuild some modern plastic fuel cans

Frenchy
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Plastic water cans were ready for procurement in late 1968.

Kurt,

Very informative and useful article, thanks a lot!

Pawel

P.S.
Although I must admit that I have mixed feelings about seeing it linked from this thread, as - for reasons known only to TL management - linking to my own review is now forbidden on TL forums... Please don't remove the link however - I really appreciate the information your article provides!
 _GOTOTOP