_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Minature Magic Campaign Progress
Orffer
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 05:16 PM UTC
Hi everyone

It's my first diorama attempt and my first 1/72 scale armor model ever. Normally I stick to 1/35 scale armor or to 1/48 scale aircraft.

I have posted some progression pictures of the build so far, and as I go along I see ALOT of things to correct. Either within the build, or with the next one that I try.

Here's some of the build pictures and diorama pictures.

I know that the wire within the trees are still showing copper. I experimented and failed, but learnt from the experience.

I'm thinking of restarting the trees with the lessons learnt from my mistakes.

step 1: design tree
step 2: cover bark
step 3: airbrush entire tree with bark color
step 4: add leaves

Feel free to give me advice ...

Dieter
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
Dieter

Looking good so far. Sturmgeschutz IV (Sdkfz 163/ 167) by Revell, I’m guessing.
As for the trees; I guess adding something such as Mr. Surfacer 500 to the trunks ought to help.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
I think your trees look great, especially considering they are a first try. When I made wire trees for a small diorama, I covered the wire up with the pre-mixed wall spackle (comes in a small tub and is widely available here in the US). Then painted the tree. You are right, however, the painting needs to be done before adding the leaves.

Keith
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
This is nortoriously not one of Revell's best kits. They originally issued it in the early 1990s using the Matchbox label and Monogram boxed it here in the states.

I could give you a laundry list of after market items that would assist in accurizing that StuG but with the new Dragon kit on the market, buying it would be cheaper than purchasing any AM item I would mention.

I wish you the best of luck in your project and can't wait to see it completed. I would not worry about the major inaccuracies and just have fun.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 07:27 PM UTC
Hi Dieter,
Your model and your trees are great. You can add more leaves on the visible wires, can't you? With or without the visible wires I think they are wonderful.
Till now I made just one diorama on 1/72 which you can find in articles of Armorama. With this campaign I'm going to do my second 1/72 dio. At first one I used some trees which I made from sponge. but in this second one I'm going to use trees made from wire after seeing yours. They really look nice.
cheers
ara398
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Dieter,

looks like you're well on the way. I WISH my trees looked like yours! I still haven't decided on a base for mine yet - Anyone out there know how to make 1/72 Eucalyptus (Gum) trees???

Regards,
Adrian
Orffer
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 05:48 PM UTC
Thank you everyone for the help and tips. Your comments are welcome and very much appreciated!

The most important thing is to have fun, and I'm having SOOO much fun! I'm learning every step of the way, and that's part of the journey!

Dieter
 _GOTOTOP