_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bandai Opel Maultier
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:17 AM UTC
I found one of these for $9 at the local shop. If you've never done a Bandai 1/48 scale armor kit, they are kind of neat. I now nothing about this half-track, but it'll make a neat project in the future. Bandai armor kits go for big bucks on eBay, Iwas surprised to see one for under $10, even the Frog/Fuman reissues run more than that!
:-)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:36 AM UTC
Are these kits new or old, Rob, and do they come with figures? Just curious.

As to the Maultier. I was reading about it not long ago and apparently they were used as supply vehicles on the East Front, where the Germans realized they needed tracked vehicles for transport after the first winter showed their other methods were lacking in that environment.

Nic
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 12:53 PM UTC
The opel blitz chasis lent itself to variuos modifications during its production period of WWII. One of them was the well known "maultier" (Mule) which was quite useful throughout the Muddy Russian steppe. This truck was also used as an anti-aircraft half-track by mounting a 20mm flak 38 and thus protecting mainly supply units from enemy air attacks.
Italeri make this version in 1/35 kit# 380
without flak 38 kit# 221

also
The later version actually had a wooden cab as metal supplies ran low (Wheeled).
Italeri kit# 6386
wheeled version with canvass covering
Italeri kit# 216
shelter truck version (wheeled)
Italeri# 368

Just some useless info
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 01:10 PM UTC
Nic, the Bandai 1/48 kits are pretty old. They came out during the early to mid 70's. In their day they could rival the early Tamiya kits in terms of detail. All of the range, from Jeeps & Kubels through to Jagd tiger, had some basic internal detail. I've had a thing for them over the past few years, and have gradually aquired at least one of each in the series. They can still build up pretty good, I have a few examples on the ArmoramA MSN site
http://groups.msn.com/armorama/ukgeoffsmodels.msnw
 _GOTOTOP