Hosted by Darren Baker
Ruined French farmhouse
keith78
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 02:11 AM UTC
I have a french ruined farmhouse from verlinden, and i would some guide on what colours to paint it? Can any one help?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi,
here are some pics of the Verlinden ruined barn I "upgraded"!

The walls could be lighter depending of the area. The best is to have a look at some French vacation house rental sites to get other ideas. They often display pics of the houses and farms they offer for holidays stays.

Hope this helps
olivier
keith78
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks for that, You suggest looking at modern french farmhouses, but do they still keep to the same style as they did sixty years ago. :-)
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:47 AM UTC
In some remote places, yes :-) :-) :-)
You even still may have earth on the floor. I saw that last year while on holidays in Brittany !
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
Normally the plaster that was used was an earth and clay mix which when new was a light brown... as it aged, it would get darker.

As the farmer would do annual patches to the cracks in the clay, new batches would be used, which would give a splotchy finish where the new and old plaster would meet... so the key message here is to make sure that the color is not uniform. I would suggest using a mixture of tan mixed with a bit of brown and white.
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 10:15 PM UTC
Good colours shown but you can also use white for the plaster on the wall's
succes with painting the project
Eric
keith78
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help. Being a novice, i find trying to get the right colours rather difficult. i have tried a number of colours, it either looks hideous or worse. Any chance of a paint guide, numbers etc? My thought of doing this, is to paint the ruined farmhouse as new, then weather it, etc. Is this way reccommended?
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
Well,

it also depends on what area your building is.... If it is a stone building, this determines the color of the stone, which can vary from yellow (almost white) to red-brown to grey.

Then indeed, as others point out, if the walls are plastered this again gives whole new range of colors (almost white to brown and grey), and quite often these plastered buildings were covered in a whitewash (which couls have again many colors)...

this site, though in German and about castles, might give you an idea what color ranges I am talking about.
http://www.burgenwelt.de.

Another option might be to go to a local travel agent and ask for folders of French regions. Quite often they have some pics of older buildings... the variety there is as wide as in England.

I hope I have not confused you even more...

Harm
 _GOTOTOP