_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting PVC figures Need Help!
thenoblehaus
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC
Does anyone know if you can use solvent based paint on PVC figures (like the DML guys in the half-track kits)? My friend which doesn't do people gave me my quartly care package of guys and I found these really nice PVC guys (my hat of to DML, they're excellent) so I built two to stick in the open side hatchs of my Pz. III G in North Afrika. So I'm ready to paint when it dawns on me I've never painted this stuff before. I like solvent based paint best for my armor (Model Masters) but I don't want to end up with paint that never dries or worse.

My long wind way of saying HElp!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:43 AM UTC
ACRYLICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have to use acrylic paints. Oil base paints wont stick to the vinyl. Vallejo paints are real good, but if you can't get or don't want to use those, you can use MM Acryls or even Polly Scale Acrylics.
thenoblehaus
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Thanks, that's what I thought. Just like vinyl tracks that's what I figured I was going end up hitting it with a coat of Tamiya flat brown. That's what I get for gluing the guys in. The posse just screamed to make my part of the thing. A little more work but the end result should be worth it.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:51 PM UTC
The other thing you can try is auto primer that is made for vinyl parts ie.soft bumpers.Then your oil base paints will stick and dry.This is the trick I use on 1/9 vinyl figures.
Just try it on the tree part for a test first.
Hope this helps.
Jim
 _GOTOTOP