_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to Depict ammo and Gear on an AFV?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 12:50 PM UTC
I know that backpacks, tarps, bedrolls and the like hanging from the side of an AFV needs straps running from the top deck to secure them (side gear shouldn't look "glued on"), but how about ammo cans and gear on TOP of the AFV? Do all ammo cans, binoculars, helmets, packs, boxes, etc. stay on top by their weight or does everything need to be secured too? If secured, how?

The real AFV and model photos I've seen seem to suggest that the gear just lies on top of the AFV and doesn't need tying down. Yet going at speed or cross-country, doesn't anything fly off if not secured?

Thanks for the feedback.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 01:52 PM UTC
Several modern AFV's, ie AS-90. M109A6, have not only tie down points on the roof for equipment, but brackets for the ammo cans as well. The IDF have a fairly standard design for their ammo brackets, which can been seen on nearly all of their AFV's.
The brackets include the straps for securing the cans. And yeah, anything not secured will fall off, always at the most inopportune moment. Bungee cords are also a popular way to secure other types of equipment. On non-military vehicles (Tacomas come to mind for some reason) stowage racks are pretty much customizd to the user's mission. My unit has guys who can weld, including myself, so that there's virtually nothing that can't be done.
If you're not sure about the the vehicle you're modeling, you can also simulate the stretch cargo nets as seen on pickups, and attach them wherever feasible. I've seen these used quite a bit. I use a stretchy mesh that fresh garlic comes in-it's perfect.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 01:05 AM UTC
I'm building the Tamiya M113A3 and from stowage kits photos for it, look like the gear's just piled on top.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC
The kit photos wouldn't want to highlight the fact that it's hard to simulate a properly tied down load with molded on tiedown points.

I'll send you a picture that show stuff tied down. The exception is heavy items like cases of water but these will still be sandwiched in between items that are tied down.

Paul
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
Thanks, Paul, check your email.
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 02:07 PM UTC
I agree. The worse was the early verlinden books that had gear just hapazardly glued on with no apparant way of staying on. Also a pet peave was to have a random piece of personal gear (canteen, ammo pouch, etc) that should be a part of a web belt or pack, instead it would just be hanging on a random bolt somewhere on the side of the vehicle. I never let my gear get seperated from me and I dont think it looks right on the model either. Just my opinion
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 05:35 AM UTC
If you see wartime photos of Commonwealth AFVs that appear to have ammo boxes just laying on fenders and the like, they are welded there and are now permanent additions to the vehicle.

If you have ever seen a movie of a real AFV moving at anything faster than a crawl, you'll understand that no matter what photo you see, all the kit is secured somehow.

Paul
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
whilst i was in vietnam we had most of our belongings in mini-cans[ held 1500 rds of 7.62].

we used these to make a floor in our acavs, so that is how the ammo and the personal cans were stored during travel. we hung chain link fence from the trim vane enroute also, but we kept the top deck clear for full uage of the gun tub[ tc hatch ], and around the gun shields for the 60's to have unobstructed usage also.

when we stopped for the ndp we would set up our personal geat for the night, and pack up again in the morning when we moved out, or went out on patrol.

we did hang some stuff from the sides from the guard moundt for the antennae, etc, but most personal items were kept inside.

hope this helps ya out

reb
 _GOTOTOP