_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
WTTN - 'Don't look now but..'
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC
My diorama for the 'Welcome to the 'Nam' Campaign:

The plants are a dissected artificial tree that I found in our local Wilko store, and the figures are Dragon. I have deliberately tried to show the space and dense foliage in the jungle, with all the ground and foliage sprayed with a semi-gloss varnish to portray the permanent damp that I've read about in books. The LRRP figures have used a partly overgrown hunters path, so that their bootprints don't appear on the main track.
The foliage overhanging the edges will be pushed up and into their proper place when the lid of the display case is added.
I don't like the flash effect, but it was the only way I could get the depth of field to show all of the dio in the pic.More pics, including close ups of the figures are in my WTTN gallery.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 07:18 PM UTC
I don't know whether this is the worst model I've made since joining the BigA, or whether it just got bumped off the first page before anyone saw it.
I'm not fishing for compliments, but if there's anything wrong with it I'd sure like to know. The future owner is going to collect it next Saturday, so I only have 4 days to put right any problems!
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

Let me get this right. The people walking on the road are Vietcongs while they are being stalked about by the American forces. Is that right?

It's a litte difficult to say something about the folliage because as what you said, the light from the flash is reflected harshly.

As what was being taught to me, place the dio near a window with a transparent white curtain. Place two study lamps on front of the dio, one on each side, a foot or two away from the dio. Position the lamp head in such a way that the light gently "bathes" the dio and does not harshly "pour" on it. There should also be a white background to reflect the light.

Put the setting of your digicam to cloudy, turn off the flash and switch on macro (flower).

This is the photography setting that I used to shoot my dio.

Personally, it looks a little too much like plastic plants but that may be due to the light.

Also, it would be nice if you could add some palm trees. The dio looks too monotonous if it's just filled with the same type of folliage.

The figures are nicely painted and the placement is good. I think the minor problem is on the plants. Other than that, I think this dio is a winner.

Angela
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC
Thanks for that Angela. I always knew that the plants would be the biggest problem. Trouble is this was built down to a budget for a disabled ex-serviceman, and 1/35 palms and ferns are not only hard to get, but expensive over here. All the foliage on this cost about $7! No builders fee applied either.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for that Angela. I always knew that the plants would be the biggest problem. Trouble is this was built down to a budget for a disabled ex-serviceman, and 1/35 palms and ferns are not only hard to get, but expensive over here. All the foliage on this cost about $7! No builders fee applied either.

Oh, I see. But I think it's okay in relation to the client's budget. I think it would do justice if you paint them and put a little dullcoat.

No builder's fee? You should demand for one with all your effort in this. Hehehe....

Angela
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:25 PM UTC
Dave - my input is that the plants do come across as plastic. My first thought was that they are because of the gloss, but, some plants do shine like that. So, I took a second look and realised it was because there isn't enough detail on the leaves. They are too flat, no veins on them. I would add some extra lines for veins to give them some extra definition.

I like it overall, just a bit of extra definition. The figures look good to me.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 11:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the help peoples. That's exactly the kind of feedback that I need. I've found some taller dried material growing alongside my garage that will add a bit of height and variety, and some more different colour to go on the ground (the dust and shreds from making my own ciggies!). I'll see if that helps.

Angela - I never charge a full fee for ex-servicemen or their families! And this guy's only got his pension so........& he lost his son-in-law in 'Nam (although he's English himself).
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 03:37 AM UTC
Wow how did you built this dio in so little time? Fast worker eh?

I think the foilage is pretty good, a dull coat will do good but I think it looks ok now already.....

A little bit more variation/different plants could be an idea?

Martin
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Angela - I never charge a full fee for ex-servicemen or their families! And this guy's only got his pension so........& he lost his son-in-law in 'Nam (although he's English himself).

Poor guy. Wish I could be of help.

Anyway, I think the problem rests with the plants. Everything looks A-okay.

Angela
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
The only thing I can see, much like everyone else, is the plastic looking plants.

That VC pointman is going to lose his job not being able to spot those US troops in the brush!!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks again for the help. I knew there was something not quite right so,:
1) there will be small (admitedly dead) ferns under the green bushes,
2) more dried up undergrowth and leaf-litter,
3) a partly burnt tree stump,
4) more cover in front of the LRRP figures (they are observers rather than an ambush);
5) overall a spayed on coat of mixed matt acrylic varnish, pva glue and water to flatten it all down and make sure that nothing falls off!

I knew that all of you would help me out - as I keep saying to others - we are all still learning and in 42 years modelling this is my first non-vehicle dio and my first with this much foliage!
 _GOTOTOP