_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M10 achilles help please
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
I have a question about the mounting points for the spaced armor that was seen on the M10 tank destroyers Did the achilles have any attachment bolts? I've only seen 3 or 4 pics of the Achilles From what I've seen the hull sides didn't have them,but I was curious if the front hull or turret sides still had them mounted on Also did they have the grouser holders on the sides? I'm using the AFV Club version with some academy bits thrown in,like road wheels,idler wheels,U-shaped towing clevis's and some interior parts I may even put on the roof armor I saw one pic of an Achilles that had roof armor in the Concord book on tank destroyers I have two drawings of the turret insides that show what the Academy and AFV Club kits are missing,also shows that the ammo was not stored in fiber containers in the hull I tried a web search on tankdestroyers(all one word)but came up blank If anyone wants those turret pics send me a PM I will send them
Chad #:-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
The Achilles (British version of the M10) did not have the "spaced armor" bolts on the hull sides. The front plate or (nose armor) and turret sides did have them. Yes, the Achilles also maintained (though not all) the grouser mounts on the hull sides. Spare tracks were often mounted to the front plate too.
The 17pdr shells were not stored in the fiber tubes, they were stored naked. ooooh!
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
And that naked storage of the main gun rounds means that you will have to scratchbuild the storage racks and probably cast some ammunition as well. Get the Accurate Armour set of 17-pdr rounds for a start. My own Achilles is stalled because I haven't figured out precisely how to do the storage racks nor have I found the budget to tool up to learn about casting parts myself. Maybe if I procrastinate long enough someone will come up with a resin correction set.....
Greg
 _GOTOTOP