_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
VE Day little dio :: "Bevrijding!"
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hey all,

Not what I had in mind when I started this campaign, but I couldn't realize what I had in mind....

So, I've started a new, smaller diorama and this is the result:

You can see a Daimler Dingo from the 49th Polar Bear division during the liberation of South-West Holland, somewhere between Utrecht and Rotterdam.

The crew has stopped for a little break and a farmer and his wife and son come to welcome the liberators. The farmer offers the crew some jenever. A Dutch alcoholic drink which looks like water, but it's pretty strong stuff. The farmer's wife wears a orange scarf because orange is kinda the Dutch national colour.

It was fun to do a little diorama again. Building and painting the figures and Dingo was also nice, I'm also happy how they turned out....

But, I'm not 100% satisfied with the dio results, so please do not hesitate to give me feedback on how to improve my diorama skills....

More pics will follow soon so you can all give me usefull feedback!

Martin
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
Martin

It looks nice for such a small dio. It really depicts a scene which occured everywhere in Holland during Liberation.
Only thing I find a bit creepy is the road....
It looks like the cobblestones or stones just sank in the ground... or got sucked in.....
I wouldn't take my changes and I would have stayed in the grass...

But the figs and Dingo are painted to your usual very high standard!!!

How about hanging an extra orange ribbon around the tree or maybe dangling from one of the branches? I always imagined as Holland being literally covered in orange during the liberation...

still a great little piece of work

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin

It looks nice for such a small dio. It really depicts a scene which occured everywhere in Holland during Liberation.
Only thing I find a bit creepy is the road....
It looks like the cobblestones or stones just sank in the ground... or got sucked in.....
I wouldn't take my changes and I would have stayed in the grass...

But the figs and Dingo are painted to your usual very high standard!!!

How about hanging an extra orange ribbon around the tree or maybe dangling from one of the branches? I always imagined as Holland being literally covered in orange during the liberation...

still a great little piece of work

Hey

You're right about the cobblestone road, didn't turned out the way I wanted......So who can tell me how to make a good one? (in steps or something like that)

The idea of an extra orange ribbon is nice, I'll do that!

Thanks,
Martin
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC
I have the same mother/child figure in my VE Dio. I guess it was the perfect figure for VE!!

I can't really say what looks wrong but I agree there is something off about the cobblestone road.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the same mother/child figure in my VE Dio. I guess it was the perfect figure for VE!!

I can't really say what looks wrong but I agree there is something off about the cobblestone road.

Yeah that figure is very very good for these kind of diorama's

Maybe I'll try to repair the cobblestone road in some way when I have some more time.....

Martin
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:06 AM UTC
Martin, even with the comments about the road I reckon that this is a nice little diorama; so I'd be pleased to have it in my collection.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin, even with the comments about the road I reckon that this is a nice little diorama; so I'd be pleased to have it in my collection.

Ok, thanks

Martin
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi Martinnnnnnn (sorry )

That is a great diorama, or vignette. I love the tree, I keep shying away from trees, unless the are dead and blasted.., because I can't seem to get that 'natural' look right. Your tree looks great, just like it would in may.
As for the road, I think the problem is that it neither here nor there. It's to smooth for a cobblestone road ( as anybody who has driven over one will know ) and if it would be a compacted 'pebbels' (kiezelstenen enz. )road, the pebbels are to big. For a cobblestone road the cobbels are also to random and far apart. For a small road like this in Holland at that time, it would probably have been a compacted sand or pebbel road. No Tarmac (asfalt) in those days... . If you want to change it, I would go for a sand track, as that would also tie in the farmer and his family. It should not be to difficult to add a thin layer of chinchilla sand over the cobbels I would think.
But I agree with Dave, it is very nice as it is.

Groeten
Henk
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Martinnnnnnn (sorry )

That is a great diorama, or vignette. I love the tree, I keep shying away from trees, unless the are dead and blasted.., because I can't seem to get that 'natural' look right. Your tree looks great, just like it would in may.
As for the road, I think the problem is that it neither here nor there. It's to smooth for a cobblestone road ( as anybody who has driven over one will know ) and if it would be a compacted 'pebbels' (kiezelstenen enz. )road, the pebbels are to big. For a cobblestone road the cobbels are also to random and far apart. For a small road like this in Holland at that time, it would probably have been a compacted sand or pebbel road. No Tarmac (asfalt) in those days... . If you want to change it, I would go for a sand track, as that would also tie in the farmer and his family. It should not be to difficult to add a thin layer of chinchilla sand over the cobbels I would think.
But I agree with Dave, it is very nice as it is.

Groeten
Henk

Yeah I was not very sure about the road type to choose......changing it into a sand road shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'll do that.....once I have time
Snowhand
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
When I first looked at it, i thought your cobbles were horsetracks

oh, and jenever is gin :-) , which may have been in stoneware bottles more than in glass bottles at the end of the war.. still .. glass bottles were available.
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
Martin it's better than you think however i don't know which scale it is i can only say looks good to me
(maybe but i don't know there is little less dry brushing on it)
greetz eric
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:40 PM UTC
Martin,

You've done it again, strong work on the dio, it's good to go! I like it a lot!!! The mom and child gave it the right touch.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies all! I'm glad you like it
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 07:39 PM UTC
I like it, and im sorry to hear that you feel you had to cut corners, to me it looks very complete.

Regarding the road, somewhere i saw something about a road made with small round beans glued on and then filled in with plaster - i have tried it, and it looks quite good, but can be timeconsuming if you want a pattern.

Otherwise, there the "blockhaus" method, cork.! :-)
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like it, and im sorry to hear that you feel you had to cut corners, to me it looks very complete.

Regarding the road, somewhere i saw something about a road made with small round beans glued on and then filled in with plaster - i have tried it, and it looks quite good, but can be timeconsuming if you want a pattern.

Otherwise, there the "blockhaus" method, cork.! :-)

This road was made with beans and plaster...but it didn't really came out good.....we call them split erwten btw

Martin
 _GOTOTOP