_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Large Diorama
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
well Hi peeps.
Well over ten years I have been thinking of this idea, what about a large diorama of yes you guessed it WWII well what do you think now have 56German and 28 russian vechiles not all built or finished about 40 done but not totally want to make one large display of tank battle maybe Kursk or similiar any suggestion would be appreciated. Have not even started on figures as I have about 13 or so years to retirement this gives me enough time to get all the models and figures together. And on figures how many would you think about 200 or 300 hundred for both sides.This is all 1/35 scale so I know they will be packed in . Any place I can see what is the field of battle for a german army group as to deployment in terms of artillery and such as I might have to modify it a little . Total vechiles will be about 75 german and 45 russian mostly t-34's for russians .
Well take care
happy modeling
:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 06:43 AM UTC
First allow me to bid you a warm welcome to the best armour site on the web! As to your project.....sounds like a handful. Very good idea though. You said you still have 13 years till retirement? Congrats on that, and I hope you make it there healthy and wise :-)

If you need any help on your Mega-Dio, you will find a wealth of information here with these guys. Visit us for awhile, and I'm sure you'll agree.

Tread.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 06:51 AM UTC
A modeler after my own heart!! - Sounds like a cool idea. There are certainly a lot of pics of Kursk to model terrain and tanks from. Here is one such site.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/vy75/

I was thinking that many of the better tanks (Panther/Tiger) may not have been involved in Kursk, but I see I was wrong.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 07:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the quick replies. Yes I do have enough tiger 1s for a company about 12 I think. On the panthers only one at the moment but I do want a varied assortment of tanks maybe some that were a year behind I do have the sturm tiger which I do want to use,but alas was a year behind. I am intent on using all of my artillery pieces such as 5- 88mm ( might get one more to make the company of 6) ,5 nebel werfers, 6 -75 mm plus the assortment of vechiles such as opel blitz and steyr rso tractors hummels and such.Well heck I could type all day so see you all latter got some models to put together. And thanks for the welcome will see how it turns out. Forgot to add I am in the process of wanting to cast some tracks for my tigers and t-34s as I do like the seperate track links for the ones that will be close to edges of diorama,I do have some of the tamiya tracks that came with my tiger but on making the mold I don't think they will cast good as the runners that bring resin are small,maybe will try the ones I got from academy to see if I can get a good master to cast from. Also have the t-34 tracks coming from a company in russia for 5.96 each but untill I see them I can not say if they are any good as I need about 10 sets for the vechiles that will be near the edges it might be cheaper to buy them then cast. Well latter and thanks again
Good Modeling.
PS has anybody built the Famo and is it worth the money being tamyia I know it most likley is but the $70.00 tag is a little steep.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS has anybody built the Famo and is it worth the money being tamyia I know it most likley is but the $70.00 tag is a little steep.

Welcome aboard sgtreef! A really cool idea, not to mention a *huge* undertaking!
There's one I'd like to see when finished.

Anyways, while I'm not much of a German armor builder, everything I've heard of the Famo by Tamiya is great. It's one of those kits that make me sort of jeolous of the German modelers. (But hey, we have the Dragon Wagon) But I found a site which you can take a look at for a review of the Tamiya Famo.:

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/famoreviewbg_1.htm

RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 01:11 PM UTC
Welcome Sgtreef, That's quite an undertaking you've planned there. What do you plan to use as a base? A high school gym floor. Just joking, welcome again and good luck too!

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
Now THAT was funny Rufus. lol.
(and not too far off the mark either )

Tread.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
You are funny Really I am going to use 1/2 plywood about four sheets remember just a section of battle not the whole thing. But if I was Bill Gates yes the whole thing,but heck don't think I would Live long enough to build everything I would need.
And that sale at hobby lobby helped picked up 5 models wish they had those sales every month.
SturmFuhrer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
hi
don't forget to get in some wrecked tanks into that dio
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
You can get some suggestions from GeneralZod(Chad) about wrecking models It might be expensive to have to buy into a semi tractor-trailer, but its the sitting on them that counts...then it's just to weather... :-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I have the Famo kit but haven't built it. There's a lot of detail in the model. Even the tool drawers on the driver's side of the vehicle can be built open. Also, there is a very nice engine which can be displayed alone if desired. There are even blocks to display it on. I have been back in modeling for just a short time and want to get a few more less expensive kits under my belt before I tackle the FAMO.
HTH
Chuck
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 07:38 AM UTC
Yes I will buy myself one for my Birthday. I have seen it good kit most likley get it with trailer.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 07:49 AM UTC
Speaking of the Hobby Lobby sale & Famo's, I picked up a Tamiya 88 mm FlakGun 36/37 at that sale. I have been planning on getting the Famo since the very first reviews came in on it.
Planning on building a stand alone Famo dragging the 88mm behind. Either that, or buying another two of the 88's and building a Brecourt Manor dio...input anyone?

Tread.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
got me 5 of those 88's need to get one more. Have a 7 ton track to pull one other 5 will be dug in. I think I might be getting too carried away here. But if my memory serves me the germans had 6 per company 88's or was it 12 darn I hope not. Honey need to get 7 more of these. Well what do you think. And trackhead like your idea of two 88's 2 is always better.Wish I could farm out the painting of figures need about 500 of them darn Is thing going to cost some bucks.Good modeling peeps and remember planing is half the fun.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:14 AM UTC
Welcome aboard sgtreef !
Man, you definitely got the right idea for a dio.
Like some said it is a huge undertaking , but it
can be done. I'm just finishing a small 4 Figure
Waffen SS dio, so I know just from my itty - bitty
thing, that a big dio like you have in mind will, take some
well invested time & money. I would like to do some
kind of big battle dio myself soon ( Falaise Pocket - Tarawa - etc. )
I wish you success !
- ralph
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hiya mate,
Got a useful article on the making of a Famo and trailer from a magazine!
If you want me to Mail it to you then send your e-mail to me! And good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC
Many thx Marek for your kind response and offer. Are you talking about the Military in Scale series of articles? If you are, then I am really interested in the Famo portion of the article. I already have the Sd.Ah.116 Tank Transport trailer article and the new Mobelwagen Sd.Kfz 161/3 article. Just missing the Famo portion. So if you have it, I would be very greatful for it. In any form you're willing to send it in. :-)

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

got me 5 of those 88's need to get one more. Have a 7 ton track to pull one other 5 will be dug in. I think I might be getting too carried away here. But if my memory serves me the germans had 6 per company 88's or was it 12 darn I hope not. Honey need to get 7 more of these. Well what do you think. And trackhead like your idea of two 88's 2 is always better.Wish I could farm out the painting of figures need about 500 of them darn Is thing going to cost some bucks.Good modeling peeps and remember planing is half the fun.

Yeah sgtreef,

When I was talking about getting two more 88's for the Brecourt Manor dio, I was refering to the artillery installation that the men from Easy Company, 506th Parachute Regiment, 101st Airborne Division took out on D-Day. I think that would be a pretty neat diorama considering the engagement itself is still being taught at West Point. :-)

Tread.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Be cool to have one pulled by a US half track. Think I saw a picture of this being done in finland after the war or maybe some where else.

SB
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 07:46 PM UTC
Yeah sgtreef,

When I was talking about getting two more 88's for the Brecourt Manor dio, I was refering to the artillery installation that the men from Easy Company, 506th Parachute Regiment, 101st Airborne Division took out on D-Day. I think that would be a pretty neat diorama considering the engagement itself is still being taught at West Point.

Tread.

Sorry to hear that. I know that the 88 MM was one hell of a weapon even the US ARMY wanted to copy it. Considering it could punch a hole at 1000 plus meter thru anything at time it is no wonder the Russians lost so many tanks to it. And and British at hellfire pass. Or Americans at kesserine. If I seem to lean more towards German equiptment and and Artillery it is because I served in Germany and checked out a lot of their war stuff as a combat soldier their we built roads for our American abrams when they first came out and also target pits as the Abrams was to fast and heavy for the outdated target areas left over from WWII . And as for my tour in Korea we layed Baliey Bridge across the ImJim river only 6 miles from DMZ Wish they made a model of that!!! (bailey Floating Bridge) plus the boats we used I might put up a picture of it. Wel I could go on of how we lost soldiers in Korea but that is a different story so latter and good modeling.
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi tread,
sorry i have only got a copy of the famo and trailer combo from the tamiya Magazine!
If it's any use let me Know?
 _GOTOTOP