_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
TD - Sdkfz 251/22
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi all,

My first TD entry will be the AFV Club Sdkfz 251/22. (also planning on a second, full tracked TD so I've got both options covered )

It is a nice kit so far. I've now assembled the lower hull and painted some of it already to make things a bit easier for myself!

first steps:

PAK mount:

wheels painted before assembly:

interior driver compartement painted, still got to paint the benches:

surfaces where I have to add parts later during the built were left clean from paint:

Next step: assemble and painting of the upper hull. I will paint and weather the gun and hull seperately I think.....

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Martin
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
I don't have this kit in my collection yet - so I'll be following along quietly to see how you progress and evaluate the kit...

Gunnie
DutchBird
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

looks good so far... supposedly there is a fit issue with the upper hull (cant comment from personal experience as I do not have the kit myself). I know somewhere on Planet Armor somebody is building the same vehicle as well. I am not sure he has gotten to the upper hull yet.

This is the link:

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Good luck...

Harm

PS. Too busy to properly cook a dinner (see "kuipje" in the background) ?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Martin,

looks good so far... supposedly there is a fit issue with the upper hull (cant comment from personal experience as I do not have the kit myself). I know somewhere on Planet Armor somebody is building the same vehicle as well. I am not sure he has gotten to the upper hull yet.

This is the link:

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Good luck...

Harm

PS. Too busy to properly cook a dinner (see "kuipje" in the background) ?

Lol I have that thing for so long already....and hey, I have a mom for cooking my dinner

Thanks for the link!

Cya,
Martin
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:47 AM UTC
I am building this kit also. Make sure you dry fit the upper hull and check it several times before you glue it. The front of the vehicle is where you will have to pay attention. It is not a real big deal but study the instructions and look at the box art to become familiar with the fit. All in all it is a lot of fun to build. I have not run into any really bad fit problems. The only thing so far has been the very small parts (big hands and blind in one eye and can't see out of the other) . I am finishing up with the basic painting of the vehicle and gun.
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
Here is a pic of the shim I had to do place in order for the upper hull to fit the lower hull,

The upper is just sitting on the lower in the pic but it fits now, I was dissapointed to say the least when I found this out. I am still plugging away at mine, I started on an out of the box build but after sawing it in half I figured I might as well fix some other things, so I added the flush mount screws around the engine hatches and added the additional plating in the fighting compartment. You have done a great job on yours any ideas for camo and unit? Keep up the great work.
regards,
Robert
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hey

Not sure about the unit yet. I want to built a small diorama for this model showing it in ambush position waiting for the enemy, somewhere in Germany, 1945, on the American or British/Commonwealth front.

Could I just pic one of the SS divisions?.....for instance the 9th or 10th. They went to South Germany right?

I'll make my first attempt on the upper hull today :-)

Martin
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi Martin,
looking good sor far.
talking about AFV Club 251 series and fit issue, i have the 251/1 Aus D but never build it. Is this kit also have the same fitting issue??

thanks
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Martin,
looking good sor far.
talking about AFV Club 251 series and fit issue, i have the 251/1 Aus D but never build it. Is this kit also have the same fitting issue??

thanks

Don't know, but I guess the kits use a lot of the same parts....so it could just be.

On the other hand, I didn't read too much about it in reviews.

Do the dragon kits have the same problem?

Martin
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:01 AM UTC
Martin,

Based on all the threads on various sites that i have read, it seems that only the AFV Club 251 series has given people grief. Your pictures show that you did not seem to have the problems others did (not everyone has had fit problems). I like what I am seeing so far - I hope this is on par with your submarine you recently finished.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Martin,
looking good sor far.

thanks

Don't know, but I guess the kits use a lot of the same parts....so it could just be.

On the other hand, I didn't read too much about it in reviews.

Do the dragon kits have the same problem?

Martin

I've got several of both comapnies 251's in the part built pile right now.
The AFV club kits beneift (it will not completely solve the fit problems,) by having the locators under the hood dremeled off.

The DML kits, with the seperate lower hull side walls have more fiddly construction, but fit together slightly better.

My US$0.02

Mike
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:56 AM UTC
I think DML would be the best bet for a 251. As soon as I have some money I'll order one, and throw away the old Tamiya kit. Piece of junk. Never ever buy it. The road wheels don't line up, the tracks are awful, the doors at the back are a nightmare to put on, it's supposed to have steering front wheels but they don't work, and no matter what I did the hull just didn't want to go together properly.
Maybe it's me.
Sorry if that seemed like bit of a rant. I just hate that kit so much.
 _GOTOTOP