_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jack color?
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
I am nearly finished my Panther G model and came across a seemingly easy question to answer, what is the color of the jacks used on German vehicles? Unfortunately I have not been able to answer this question because I have never seen a color photo of thhe jack. I was wondering if someone could tell me what color it should be.
Thanks,
Andrew
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
I would imagine they would be the same color as the base color of the vehicle. Around the hand crank, there probably would be a great deal of grease/oil stain to keep the thing from rusting since it was kept on the outside of the vehicle.
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Andrew,

Having researched my 1/8 Panther A to the height of boredom prior to painting, the usual color I have discovered for the jack is the color of the vehicle.

I had the chance to view an original unrepainted jack some time ago and I remember it was in dark yellow, with very heavy wear to the paint and showing a red (I assume primer) underneath.

There is a single photograph that I have also seen showing the jack (Panther Ausf. A) also camouflaged within the pattern of the vehicle. I suspect this is unusual with in this case, the crew or the field workshop being too busy/lazy to remove it prior to painting.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Trackpins (Peter)

dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 09:53 PM UTC
I had the pleasure of knowing a former tank commander of the German army in WWII.....he looked at a model of mine once where I had carefully painted all the tools with wood coloured handles and metal heads....and he laughed and told me that he had never known of anyone taking any of these things off of the tanks prior to painting them and then putting them all back on.....so it is a safe bet that the jacks as well as all the tools stowed on the outside of tanks were the same colour as the tanks themselves.
p.s. this man was the sole survivor of 3 tanks...having been blown clear of the tank....like a roman candle...all 3 times waking up in hospital to find he was the only survivor....very interesting man to talk to.
 _GOTOTOP