_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Applying glue
mac
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
I have a question about applying glue. Until very recnetly I had been using Testor's glue in the black container with the needle-style applicator attached to it. Now working with 1/72 scale AFVs I switched to Plastruct glue and hav been applying it with superfine MicroBrushes. It worked fine once I got the hang of it, but I find that even the superfine size brushes are a bit too large leaving glue around seams where I don't want it. I tried application with a small brass rod but found it couldn't hold enough glue or it was evaporating before I touched the plastic. I tried a paintbrush also, but after a few days the bristles became all splayed and unusable.

Anyone have any suggestions for my dilemma?

Thanks
...Kevin
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
mac, i use tamiya's extra thin glue. works good.

Frank
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
Look for a drafting/technical pen at an office supply store. This is an item that has two pieces of metal coming to a point. A thumb screw allows you to open and close it down to take one more or less glue. You draw aloong hte seam and the glue is transferred. Evaporation is minimum and the pen will last forever, since it is impervious to the glues we use for plastic. If there's any build up, a quick scrap with an old blade will clean it off.
I can't guess at a price since I got mine in a drafting set at a yard sale.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC
My LHS stocks these small squeezable bottles with fine needles.I put some of my Plastruct glue in this,and touch the tip to the joint,then raise it slowly,with no squeezeing.enough glue will travel to the joint.
Also,if you can find a sewing needle with a large opening,this also may work in a similar fashion to Al L's drafting pencil...
(++) (++)
 _GOTOTOP