Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer IV interior colors
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:44 AM UTC
I would like to know in each compartment what would the colors be in the Panzer IV?

DRIVERS COMPARTMENT:
what is the interior color in this compartment? Also what is the color of the transmission?

TURRET:
what is the interior color in this compartment?

FIGHTING COMPARTMENT:
what is the interior color in this compartment? I heard that it was a red color. what color of red if so, are they talking about? Also is it, the colr red, in the entire compartment such as the turret?

FUEL TANKS AND BATTERIES:
what color are the fuel tanks that are under the fighting compartment? Also the batteries, what color are they?

ENGINE COMPARTMENT:
what is the interior color of the engine compartment and fire wall? what is the color of the engine, fuel pump and manafold?

WIRES AND HOSES:
what are the colors for the wires and hoses? I heard that they ,the wires, were painted the same color as the wall that they are on, is this true? what about the hoses in the engine compartment?

I would like to know what is the best colors for the items just talked about for the scale of 1/72nd.
I have tried looking at different websites such as Panzer Interiors, Panzer colors, Tiger 1 E.Info just to name a few and I still do not get any real answers.
I also have about every book on the Panzer IV but the information on what I need is very minimal to none. If anyone know of a website that may even have some good photographs as well as information it would be a big help. Thank you
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:00 AM UTC
Wolf,
I would start out with one of the hundreds of reference books on the IV. Basically, the interior of the IV was painted white, this would include the driver's area, turret and fighting compartment.
Engine/battery areas - white
wires/hoses - wiring in the fighting areas was painted or covered in white material. Exception would be communication wiring - black.
Hoses - rubber (aged black)
Other wiring - use you imagination - some red, blue, yellow probably would not be inappropriate.

Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Wolf Leader.
I have just recently finished a partial interior of a Panther and am about to start a full interior and engine compartment of a Mark III. I have a lot of the same questions as you about some of the colors but I can also offer some insight. First, the lower half of the main hull is usually always red primer, as you may know. This color is a dull red color which I attained mixing brown and red. The rest of the walls, incluing the turret, are usually some tye of light color from creme to light grey. The questions you have about the fuel tanks and batteries are more difficult to answer. As for the transmission, I opted to paint it grey although I have seen it painted green and black. I have been told that there is room for interpretation on a majority of the parts in a German tanks as there were constant refittings and replacement parts going into the tanks. This is a link to a site on AFV interiors, in particular, a Mark III.
http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/pz3/pz3d.html
If you have more questions, just leave me a message and I will try to annswer in more detail. Hopefully someone will help out on some of the trickier stuff.
Andrew

plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:25 AM UTC
panther color for a late g model is buff have been in aberdeen's panther and verified this
rick
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:45 AM UTC
That is correct but one should be leary of museum or restored tanks because they have usually been repainted or refurbished.
Andrew
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:20 AM UTC
From the material that is availble to me, Light cream, white (usually quite dirty, black / brown wash required), light blue even, but remember that the inside of hatches and doors would be painted the exterior colour.

all the best.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 02:12 PM UTC
Wolf,
Try David Byrden's web site. Lots of good info.
http://byrden.com/panzers/
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC
I want to thank everyone one for their input in helping me with my questions on panzer interior colors.
 _GOTOTOP