_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Maybe tracks in Academy M1A1 are not that bad
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:06 PM UTC
See what I've found on US Army website:

http://www4.army.mil/OCPA/uploads/large/CSA-2005-03-23-074522.jpg

Caption: March 22, 2005
Soldiers from 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, prepare their M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks for Foal Eagle Exercise at Rodriguez Live Fire Complex, South Korea.

Note track type on those M1A1s - old T156! So maybe tracks Academy OIF M1A1 kit are not that completely wrong. On the other hand they are not quite accurate anyway even for T156 type...

Pawel
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hello Pawel,
By the markings on the bow's of those tanks it looks like they may have been pulled out of stowage from somewhere. One also needs to remember that tanks just sitting around somewhere won't necessarily have all the latest gear. I mean if the track is good no commander is going to go out and spend tons of money for new track if what he has is still good (IMHO). Anyone disagree.

Semper FI
Andy
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 12:08 AM UTC
I agree, having controlled class IX (repair parts) budgets, you won't spend money and waste man hours changing out old style to new style unless there is some safety factor involved. All track styles are still good until it has wore out.

BTW, if Academy hasn't changed their tracks since their first Abrams kit, then the center guides are still in the wrong place in the middle of the track block and not straddling two adjacent track blocks.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, if Academy hasn't changed their tracks since their first Abrams kit, then the center guides are still in the wrong place in the middle of the track block and not straddling two adjacent track blocks.

Yup, that's exactly what I meant by "not quite accurate for T156"

Pawel
 _GOTOTOP