_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Flakpanzer IV
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 12:00 PM UTC
I'm building a Flakpanzer IV for my buddy. It only shows one colour scheme, were there any other schemes? I know this was an experimental vehicle biult in '45. Thanks for the help guys.
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 12:59 PM UTC
Which Flakpanzer IV are you building?

There is the:
Mobelwagen (1x 37mm Flak 43 in an armoured box)

Ostwind (1x 37mm Flak 43 in multi-sided turret)

Wirbelwind (4x 20mm Flak 38 in multi-sided turret)

Kugelblitz (2x 30mm MK 103/38 cannon in ball turret)

The Mobelwagen and Wirbelwind were camouflaged as per noraml German AFV camouflage pratices except for the ambush scheme. This means red-brown, dark green and dark yellow in varous irregular patches.

The Ostwind only had a couple made, and they may have been overall dark yellow or standard AFV camouflage as mentioned above.

The Kugelblitz didn't see production, but would have initally been dark yello or dark green or camouflaged.

Cheers,
Linz
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
I'm making the Kugelblitz. By Dragon. The picture shows the multi colour scheme is this correct?
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:00 PM UTC
For the Kugelblitz there is no correct scheme, it was never made and hence never painted. This means that you'd be correct with any late war scheme. Hence, use red-brown (RB), dark yellow (DY) and dark green (DG) in any pattern, follow the painting guide would be correct.

Two examples of a Kugelblitz in late war scheme

Stick with a DY base and then apply the RB and DG and you'll be fine. There are two additional things that could be done though. Late war saw High Command issue (apparently) orders allowing Panzer Grey to replace the DY. The second option is to stick with the RB/DG/DY coat, but apply an ambush scheme. It can be justified that a Flakpanzer would need it. The ambush scheme was spots of DY over the DG and RB and spots of RB and DG over the DY - it simulates sunlight comeing through the leaves. Generally only tanks, TDs and SPG/H recieved this scheme, but like I siad, you could justify it.

Two examples of ambush scheme, Hetzer (top) and SdKfz 251/20 Uhu (bottom)

Cheers,
Linz
wangman7
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC
Here are links to those pictures.

Kugelblitz

Kugelblitz

Hetzer