Hosted by Darren Baker
Making static grass stand!
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi to all! I ve tried static grass on dioramas but it doesnt seem to stand no matter how hard i blow them......... Is there some thing that i didnt do?? I apply white glue on the groundwork before applying them.......Is that the correct method?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
Sounds fine to me. If blowing doesn´t help, try to brush the grass up with a flat, stiff brush carefully. That should do the trick...

Toni
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds fine to me. If blowing doesn´t help, try to brush the grass up with a flat, stiff brush carefully. That should do the trick...

I always paint the grass as the color of the static grass I have is not very realistic... I use the brush and slightly drybrush with various colors - with this process the grass gets the color and stands up. So, you kill two flies with one shot...

Mario M.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 12:50 AM UTC
A couple of points I have noted with static grass.
I use white glue and water on my base. I feel it gives a bit more movement freedom for the grass having the water mixed in.
I go heavy on the grass at first. Just dump it on, then start working it. I blow on it, in a number of different directions. I work it with a brush, or pick. I have wiggled it with my finger tip gently.
I always work over a big sheet of paper. The kind that comes in rolls. I roll it out work over it catching all the 'run off'. Then pour the run off back in the container.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
As strange as it sounds, I sometimes will turn my base upside down and blow on the grass. I do this over a manila folder so I can catch what falls off.

Patrick
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
try some hair fixativ. i don't kno if it spell so but anyway. it just might work
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:52 AM UTC
Would something like a balloon held over the grass make the "static" work. Surely the grass would rise up and blades that are stuck properly would lift also.
Another method I remember from some time ago was using a hoover. Then it lifts up and saves blowing and cleaning up afterwards!
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:01 AM UTC
Could try this:

http://www.micromark.com/planting.html
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi,

I am new to using static grass but when I use it, I spread an even coat of white glue over the base, dump the grass on and carefully brush off the remains and let the glue dry.
Hope this helps.
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC
try this:
if stored in a plastic bag, you should squeeze it and shake it within the bag previously to sprinkling. It will increase the elektro magnetic load and therefore tend to stand up easily.
 _GOTOTOP