_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Army PBR
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
Here is the start of my entry in the MP campaign. U.S. Army PBR used in vietnam. I don't want to give to much up untill i'm finished.

Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi Joe,
I did one of these PBR's a long time ago, I thought it went together very well. It is really a nice kit. I'm looking forward to this build, curious what you're going to do with the 'mp-thing'.

Mark
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
Yeah Mark it sure is a great kit, my third one. As for the 'mp-thing' it's a campaign group build. 007 is the campaign leader. Here is his link:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=85

I'm going to do a small water/dock dio with her
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
Joe, That is a great kit. Just a note though, US Army didn't operate any PBRs in Vietnam. They were all owned, operated and crewed by the US Navy. Just say they are Navy SPs (Shore Police) and you will be good.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just say they are Navy SPs (Shore Police) and you will be good.

Aha, that's what I meant with the 'mp-thing' I was wondering how you were going to incorperate the PBR into a MP scene. Well a little dock-scene sure has my attention!

Good luck
Mark
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joe, That is a great kit. Just a note though, US Army didn't operate any PBRs in Vietnam. They were all owned, operated and crewed by the US Navy. Just say they are Navy SPs (Shore Police) and you will be good.

Not true Gino The PBR were operated by the Transportation corp of the US Army. I have a lot of good friends who served on them in Nam.

Quoted Text

The Searchlight - The U.S. Army operated Patrol Boat Riverine (PBR) in Qui Nhon Harbor for interior harbor security. The PBR were detached from the Quartermaster Corps and operated by local MPs. There was an Army detachment operating a searchlight up the hill from Market Time Qui Nhon. I believe they were part of the U.S. Army Military Police platoon assigned at Qui Nhon. The searchlight detachment would come down the hill about once a week for a hot shower and hot meal and maybe a beer or two. I was introduced to one Sergeant that I believe was the NCOIC of the searchlight position. I recall his name was Jerry. He was prematurely bald. After returning to the U.S., I remember Jerry's photo on the cover of a magazine and in the inside pages was a story of how that searchlight position was hit and Jerry killed with a few others KIA or WIA. That's the way I remember it unless it was all a dream. I thought it was Life magazine. I've never been able to track that down

This is a quote frome this site http://vikingphoenix.com/public/rongstad/photography/QuiNhon.htm

Here is the link to the 458th Trans Co. which operated the PBR's http://www.pbr-fva.org/
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
Army PBRs. Guess you learn something new every day. Always thought they were only USN craft and crews.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:22 PM UTC
Oh well it's out :-) :-) :-)
Yeah the army had used some PBR's with the 458th U.S. Army Transportation. The 458th PBR was attached to the 18th Military Police Brigade, so i'm building a boat from that unit. Here's a link:

http://www.720mpvietnamproject.org/history_project/project_vietnam/458th_pbr/458th_pbr_720th_mp.html

Do a google on the 458th, many pics and a lot of info.

As it was attached to the 18th MP Brigade, the MP patch was modified and was claimed as a unauthorized patch. Below the 18th MP Brigade Patch are 5 samples of patches made and worn by various 458th detachments.
link to patches:
http://458th.homestead.com/patch2.html
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:57 AM UTC
A PBR for MPs is cetainly a different twist for the MP Campaign. I mostly imagined directing traffic or handling POWs. I seem to have the urge to watch Apocolypse Now!
c6o
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 01:41 AM UTC
army pbr...?
good am,
am curious as to the army crewing pbr's in the 'nam-they were navy pbr's attached to the army and crewed by their regular navy crew and upon termination of their mission would return to the brown water navy.
cheers
c6o
carpe diem
ps-if you would check the ranks of the crew members you would find that their ranks is navy not army-army does not have any petty officers.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
Howdy mother,

A PBR for the MP Campaign huh?......nice twist, I like it.

Whether it's squids or regular Army crewing your boat, I look forward to seeing your dio come to life. I especially look forward to how you handle depicting the 'brown' water dockside.....

Tread.

P.S. Are you going to paint it black & white with a gumball machine up top?
 _GOTOTOP