_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pz IV
leogunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC
I just picked up a Pz IV H kit from Italeri and was wondering if anybody has had any major problems with this particular kit,( fit, inaccuracies,etc).
Also anyone know of any good reference photos on the net that may be of help?

Thanks in advance.
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 09:33 PM UTC
Well, for an overview of the PzKpfw family try:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz3.htm#panzer4

Then there is here:

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/pz4/pz4a.html

for a detailed look inside and out. It isn't specific to the Ausf H, but it does have useful stuff that combined with knowledge of how the H differed from other Ausf's can be used.

There is a website dedicated to the PzKpfw IV:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/willphelps/

These should be alright for references.

Cheers,
Linz
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:42 AM UTC
I heard that the Italeri Panzer IV isn't as good as the DML Panzer IVs or the new-tooled Tamiya Panzer IVs, but it is better than the old Tamiya Panzer IVs and it is a good model for the price. I recently got to see the Italeri Panzer IV Ausf. H kit for myself and would have to agree with that assessment. Italeri kits are almost never the top of the heap, but they are cheap and can be built into nice models with a bit of TLC.

As far as references go try:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz3.htm#panzer4

&

http://www.clandavidsonusa.com/wac/afvphotos/german/panzerIVe/panzerive.htm

The second link is high quality color photos of the Panzer IV Ausf. E recently restored at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. I know that you are building an Ausf. H, but there are many similarities between the different versions so these shots may be of use.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC
overall the Italeri Mk lVH ain't bad, it is a good kit to start with, Tamiya tank tools will help make it look better. if you can, get ahold of the F1/F2/G version by Italeri, it is the finest kit of all of the Mk lV's out their. use the Tamiya tank tools with this too

Chris Pig no.1
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
The Italeri F1/F2/G is still one of my favorites. I've built the three Ausf's.

The net has some interesting pix try going to :
:-)
http://babel.altavista.com/tr

and paste this link in

http://www.achtungpanzer.bos.ru/index.html

This site has hundreds of pix of different types of vehicles.

good luck

'There ain't no substitue for a good book though'

ISO GALAGO book on PzKpfw III and Pzkpfw IV derivatives is good foe explaining the differences of each Ausf (Mark)
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:51 AM UTC
I recently built the Italeri IV F. The other writers are correct - pick up a set of Tamiya Mk IV tools and replace the kit parts. Also, don't forget to place some visual block in the engine compartment or you will be able to see right through the tank.

Enjoy
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
I never built anything outside of Tamiya or DML, what kind of tracks does the Italeri one comes with?
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never built anything outside of Tamiya or DML, what kind of tracks does the Italeri one comes with?

Hi there Dave Pig #2
You get a fairly poor set of rubber bands. The new Tamiya ones are better detailed, and gluable.

I bought the PzIVH from ModelExpo. I've gotten too used to Tamiya, DML, Academy, AFV Club, and even Alan. The sink marks, flash and ejector pin marks sent me into a tailspin of depression (sort of ). The kit looks OK, and you can't go wrong with the old Squadron Pz IV book, and other references like that!

Cheers
Andy
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 10:42 AM UTC
I.ve had bad experinces with italieri I recently tired to build the ausf h and had to fill in a .5 cm wide gap between the top half and bottom half of the tank. I have built three italieri kits all have problems with fit. It may be my ineptitude or their engineering. The other thing that happened to my model was that I used non-acetone nail polish remover to smooth the tamiya putty it melted the plastic on the model. Italieri very thin plastic
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi there Dave Pig #2
You get a fairly poor set of rubber bands. The new Tamiya ones are better detailed, and gluable.

I bought the PzIVH from ModelExpo. I've gotten too used to Tamiya, DML, Academy, AFV Club, and even Alan. The sink marks, flash and ejector pin marks sent me into a tailspin of depression (sort of ). The kit looks OK, and you can't go wrong with the old Squadron Pz IV book, and other references like that!

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy, good lord, I already hate Tamiya's rubber band, so if I got the Italeri IV/F2 I must get some replacement tracks.... #:-)
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC
I always thought that the Italeri tracks were OK better than the old Tamiya PzKpfw IV Ausf H.

At least the inside of the track was detailed, although a little stiff. To get the track to sag in the right place I used the followin method and if done properly and weathered well hardly notices.

In the hull side i drilled a hole and used brass wire to push down the tracks. When weathered well you can hardly see it. Cheap and cheerful way of doing things I know, but I didn't have the measly few quid I needed to but the single link replacements.

Hope your PzKpfw IV turns out OK.

PS if you model a Tiger or a Panther you can use thin cotton to tension the tracks. This will not notice through the interleaved wheels.
leogunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:25 AM UTC
I'd like to thank everybody who replied. I now have a couple of new sites added to my favourites. I was looking at some of the tools and they are a little clunky looking. I might just try and scratch build a few replacements or see if I can find the bottom of my spares box to see whats lurking in there!

Thanks again to all.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I always thought that the Italeri tracks were OK better than the old Tamiya PzKpfw IV Ausf H.

At least the inside of the track was detailed, although a little stiff. To get the track to sag in the right place I used the followin method and if done properly and weathered well hardly notices.

In the hull side i drilled a hole and used brass wire to push down the tracks. When weathered well you can hardly see it. Cheap and cheerful way of doing things I know, but I didn't have the measly few quid I needed to but the single link replacements.

I agree the old Tamiya tracks really stink. The new glueable tracks in the recent PzIV kits are nicer. I prefer indy links though. Those tricks for getting some sag do work well, though!

Cheers
Andy
 _GOTOTOP