_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Calling all Sherman experts, Which barrel
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi folk

Ok, calling all Sherman experts. I'm placing an order for Tamiya's M4A3 75mm, Kit TM35250. I'm a little confused as to which metal barrel I should get to go with it. Squadron offers two. Eduard's M4A3 barrel for kit 35122, and Hot Barrel's 75mm M2 gun.
Will either barrel work, or both, or what ? If not one of these two then what ? Lastly, anything I should look into for this kit ?

Thanks in advance for the help
Wolfsix
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:49 AM UTC
The Hot Barrel M2 gun is the wrong barrel for the M4A3 as it is the early short 75mm barrel that would have been seen on some M3 Grants and Lee's along with VERY early Shermans. The M4A3 uses the 75mm gun M3.

Along with Eduard, there are quite a few other barrels out there to choose from including one from CMD and Formations. Also, Tiger Model Designs should be releasing their new aluminum 75mm barrels as well sometime in the next couple of weeks.

As for tweeks or anything else on the kits, you should visit: Modeling the US Army in WW II.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 07:13 PM UTC
Ask around if anyone has a spare DML M4A1/75 or M4A4/75 barrel they can part with. Good Shermie bbl in plastic.

Else, get a Formations or Tankworkshop if you must have an AM barrel.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good Shermie bbl in plastic.

That's right. Kurt did a bunch of measurements Of the real thing and a number of AM barrels. The DML kit barrel was by far the best. It is almost dead nuts on.

The comparisons are in the Track Link review area.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP