_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Zvezda BMP-2?
Chris_T
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has any info about the 1/35th Zvezda BMP-2 kit? Is this kit any good? What are the pros and cons of this kit that I should be aware of? Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated, as I'm considering getting this kit from Greatmodels.com.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:46 AM UTC
As far as I know it is a re-pop of the Dragon kit. A decent kit. I built one awhile back and had no major issues. Just some small parts that make up other assemblies is all. Watch for tweezer launch and you should be ok. "Q"
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hello Chris,

The BMP kit you're refering to is a re-release or originally a Dragon. The kit has a indie tracklink and it's a bit tricky putting them together. The fitting for the lower and upper hull is also a problem. But overall it's a fun build.
Here's a Dragon BMP-2E.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
There are a few accuracy issues with the kit.

The rear deck troop hatches should be parallel with the centerline, not angled and parallel with the hull sides. Also the workable hinges are toylike at best, not at all representitive of the real thing.

There are no backsides to the roadwheels and the sprocket has the wrong number of spokes.

The hinge assemblies for the rear doors are quite fiddly and again, do not represent the real thing accurately.

A Modelpoint barrel, AT tube, and antenna really dress things up. The newer Eduard etch set is also a big help if you're so inclined.

october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 05:51 AM UTC
I built one of these for the Seeing Red campaign and would go along with all of the above and stress the lower hull/deck fit as a major issue.
In addition the periscope view ports are rather crude but the PE set is effective in this respect.In addition I understand the rear deck ones are misplaced.
Panzer Shop make a resin wheel set for the BMP 1and 2,although I only discovered this after I was too far on with the build.
However the kit when finished does give the overall feel and low profile look of these IVF's.
Cheers October
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi

Luckily most of the errors mentioned can be fixed.

There is an aftermarket track set that includes a proper drive sprocket. There is a resin replacement upper hull. MP makes great replacement turrets etc as well as brass barrel, smoke grenades etc. Eddie makes the etch, of course. And there are others.

So depending on how much extra you want to put in, you can do up a decent build.

HTH

T
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Luckily most of the errors mentioned can be fixed.
So depending on how much extra you want to put in, you can do up a decent build.

HTH

T

and how much you want to spend.....

M
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
Yeah, it is the old DML kit repopped.

All the problems listed above are correct. Also, to be perfectly true, the periscopes are also in the wrong postions, both hull and turret.

but who is counting, right?

Anyhow, SP Designs makes a fair amount of replacement parts for the BMP-2, see here:

http://saammodels.tripod.com/companies/spdesigns/bmp2/index.htm

yes, it is shameless self-promotion ( I run SAAMMODELS). I also built a turret and hull kit, and had no problems. Those are teh "featured" builds on the above link.

Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi

SP makes a lot of neat upgrades for the BMP series.

I can vouch too for SAAM!

Tom
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
Also, take a good look at the one Blitz built. Even with just some PE, it does build into a good looking vehicle.
 _GOTOTOP