_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Assistance with ICM's T-35
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC
Greetings;
I am starting to build the T-35 by ICM and have discovered that the top deck is warped quite badly from front to back. side to side seems OK. Has anyone else built this kit and had the same problems? If so, what did you do to correct it. Some suggestions given at the Saturday morning coffee stop at my hobby shop was to soak the offending part in very hot water then hold in place on the hull with rubber bands and it should flatten out, or start at the rear and glue it in place then clamp, let set for a day then move forward glueing a short area each day until completely bonded then run a final bead of liquid glue (Tamiya extra-fine) down both seams.
Both of these ideas seem feasable but both I try either one I was hoping some one else out there has had to solve the same problem or maybe has a better solution.
Thanks eh;

ron
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
Ron, those are the only methods I've ever heard of for fixing "warped" parts.
Soaking in "boiling water" for a few is probably your best bet.

Maybe someone else here has another method.
Barkmann
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
Have the same kit, with the same problem!!!!! Dipping in hot water should be the better solution in my mind...
Lots of parts in this kit, What a great model... Can I have your opinion about the kit construction???

Thanks!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
I wouldn't use boiling water, you may do more harm than good. Very hot tap water should do the trick, make sure you have it clamped to something to make sure it retains the correct form and doesn't return to the warped shape.
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Rongh,
I built the kit and had the same problem like you and the rest of the guys here,but i used Tenax 7R with an insulin syringe and started at one end and worked my way down,tenax works quick so i didnt have to hold the section very long,i broke the length of the hull in four sections,also got Jordios new set of gun barrels for the T-35. Happy Modeling.
modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 03:56 PM UTC
Same kit,same probs!
I just used a thin slither of super glue and some patience and found that that worked ok!
My main problem was getting the front of the hull in the correct place!
Not very clear on the instructions and not alot of reference available!
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 04:44 PM UTC
Does ICM's T-28 have that problem as well?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 07:49 PM UTC
Rongh, here's a pretty nice site with the completed ICM T35 aka "Land Battleship". It looks PDG!!

http://www.see.ipms.btinternet.co.uk/t35atdubno.htm
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 09:29 PM UTC
Good luck with the T35 Rongh, and welcome to the site!
Since at least half of the title of this thread is ICM, I'd like to post a Q to the group with Rongh's permission.
ICM makes several kits of interesting subjects, mostly Soviet I believe. The question is, do all the ICM kits have problems like this? Since several of you responded to having some experience with ICM products I thought this might be a good time to pose the question.

Thx, Tread.
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 10:08 PM UTC
Howdy,
No i have not had any big problem with other ICM kits,except the usual puttying of small gaps,etc. I think the T-35 and T-28 warpage is due to that it is a long vehicle kit.
Happy Modeling

modelmaniac
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 11:44 PM UTC
Just won the bid on an ICM T-28 on e-bay, and i wasn't even trying.....hope it is not going to be one of those pain in the ass kits....
 _GOTOTOP