_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M59 155MM Long Tom
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
Here is a model that I just completed. It is the AFV Club M 59 155MM Cannon. It is built OOB and is pulled by the Tamiya M 26 Dragon Wagon.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC
Very well done. That is quite a big gun for a guntruck?? :-)

Anyway, your weathering is supurb.

I have only 2 easily fixed comments (provided I am right; rarely happens ):

1.) You could even out the weathering (ie mud) on the wheels of the Dragon Wagon and the Long Tom. As both would be going over the same ground, the weathering here would be the same.

2.) I love the metal colored breach block. However, would not the immediate interior of the barrel also be clean metal from all the scraping of the block being slammed home? Just a thought.

Other than that, out of a lack of knowledge about both the Dragon Wagon and the Long Tom, both 1:1 and the kits (ie ignorance ), I can see no faults. great job.

Jeff
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
nice model

PUT IT ON A DIORAMA

Q
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the nice comments Jeff. I built the M 26 a year ago and thought it would be a good vehicle to pull the M 59. I never thought about the tires matching up, good point. The interior if the breech is silver also, but with the lousy lighting today it shows up a gray color.

I think that I may display this combo in some sort of small Dio. Any suggestions?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC
having recently completed mine as well Dave I know what this kit is like. Good Job.

One point is and I cannot quite make it out but did you paint the interior mussle end of the barrel?

cheers
Cliff
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thanks Cliff. I noticed that there is some over pray in the muzzle. I will have to fix that. This is why I like to post photos of my work to get the help and additional eyes to see where I messed up or could improve. My overhead shop light took a dumper and I have to replace it. I never realized how dark this room can get without it.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC
The breech part is exactly like the breech on the M-60A2 I was on.The swung out part will be silver,or a polished Aluminum.The interior which is around it when closed can be a "gunmetal" color.The silver part doesn't "grind" against the inside.Those ribs on it,interlock with ribs in the end of the tube.
As for weathering,imagine the spray pattern from the M-26's rear wheels kicking goo up on the nearest parts of the gun...
Nice work .
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
Dave:

Unfortunately, AFV put nice interlocking threads on the breech block, but not in the breech itself !!! (And their 8in gun has rifling in barrel -- aaargh !!).

The only reason I could think of this combo being used would be if a gun had to be towed back to DS maintenance or maybe recovered from an accident. (But you don't want to spend a couple hundred just to buy a Mack NO or M4 HST to wreck, I'm sure).

Not sure how far you want to take this build down the detail rabbithole, but see my notes on Cliff's gun & also the pix in the Incoming Campaign Album in My Gallery -- this kit is really meant to be in firing position as there is a lot left out/wrong for travel mode.

Dave, something bugging me -- ah, ha -- I cannot see the two small spades mounted in the inside of the trails (other side from where big spades are mounted) -- are they there ??

Anyway, weathering suggestion -- trails should show scrapes & rust where the spades were taken in/out of holders. Likewise spade "legs" would show same & spade themselves would reflect some up-down & front-back wear from being put down & forced into ground by weight & fore-back from "recoil" ... Similar notes where big spades were mounted on carriage & small spades on back of trails. Would look different from other weathering, IMHO ...

John
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips John. I will make some of the corrections you suggest.
 _GOTOTOP