_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Please HElp A New MOdeler
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hey could you guys give me some advice as to wear a King Tiger Would Be.
LIke in what type of seen.
All Help wil be apreciated
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
I suggest picking up the Squadron book on the Tiger II. The King Tiger came very late in the war and were found on both fronts. They would be found in terrain from the grasslands of Russia to the Cities of Germany. There shining moment came at the Battle of the Bulge.

Big, nasty brutes with thick armor and a BIG gun. Also, check out the cover art to the new Tamiya Ardennes Tiger II w/ Motorcycle Dispatch Rider - An instant diorama in a box.
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:21 PM UTC
THanks alot but what about the color scheme sand and field green. Where would this be found.
Your help is apreciated
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:36 PM UTC
King Tigers were delivered in Dunkelgelb, dark sandy yellow. Units had Rotbrun (red brown) and DunkelGrun (dark green) paint paste. This could be thinned with water or gasoline. There was no specific pattern designated from on high. I would expect to see a green and yellow tank in a summer forest setting. i have one pic of a King Tiger turret in this scheme but the book does not indicate where it was. Another picture of a Jagdtiger in green and yellow is said to have been in the Unna region (somewhere in Germany and surrendered to the allies. implying US/British troops). Best bet is to do a search on line for King Tiger, Tiger II, PZKFW VII, or Konigstiger. Squadron's Panzer Colors seriews, while said by some to be a questionable reference may help as well as their D-Day to Berlin book.
Welcome to the great world of modeling!
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC
What kit do you have? The King Tiger with Porsche turret was the earliest version and was found on the East Front and in Normandy in 1944. These ones had zimmerit on them. The Henschel (production) turret was more common and is the version found in the Tamiya Ardennes Offensive kit. Earlier Henschel versions had zimmerit, but after summer of 1944, the Germans stopped using it, so for an Ardennes King Tiger, you would probably not have to do this. Since you are a new modeler, it would be a good idea to do one without zimmerit.

As for colour scheme, I have done some research on this recently and it appears to vary greatly. Earlier, they were delivered from the factory in dark yellow and then brown and/or green camouflage was applied. Later, tanks were delivered in dark green and camo applied over that and some were even delivered in red-oxide primer, which was occasionally used instead of dark brown for the camouflage. Some tanks were finished in an ambush scheme with hard-edge camo and dots of camo colour over top. Tanks in the East could be whitewashed in winter.

With all these different schemes, it takes some research to find out what your particular tank should have. Of course, if you don't really care too much about having that much accuracy, you can choose whichever scheme you want. You're a new modeler, so the most important thing is to have fun with it. Don't get too bogged down in the minor details.

Nic
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
Thanks for all the help guys I think i found an interesting picture to do a diorama on
And I have a 1/72 italeri KIng Tiger I have finesshed Painting it in the color sceme yellow and green. I just have to weather it.now
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Hey could you guys give me some advice as to wear a King Tiger Would Be.
LIke in what type of seen.....

How about being loaded onto a Famo recovery vehicle. Or better yet, next to a Schlepper refueler?

Tread.
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:16 PM UTC
lol they were unreliable and got 2 mile per gallon of gas
But they were brutes of tanks
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...Hey could you guys give me some advice as to wear a King Tiger Would Be.
LIke in what type of seen.....

How about being loaded onto a Famo recovery vehicle. Or better yet, next to a Schlepper refueler?

Tread.

Hi General, the Famo might not be able to haul the King Tiger....
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi General, the Famo might not be able to haul the King Tiger....

As the saying goes ain't noway Jose, maybe about 4 or 5 of them heck took three to move Tiger I. (:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As the saying goes ain't noway Jose, maybe about 4 or 5 of them heck took three to move Tiger I.

A rather long and expensive dio this would be!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A rather long and expensive dio this would be!

sounds like a line from a Grateful Dead song....
 _GOTOTOP