Hosted by Darren Baker
DUKW Peleliu
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 06:54 AM UTC
Just finished my Dukw from Peleliu, #447. Just loosely made from a couple of photos I ran accross. The fun part was finding out about the short cover and then scratch building one. Plus scratchbuilding the tire side skirts. Thanks to Jim Lewis/GunTruck Studios for the how to,
http://www.guntruck.com/DUKW.html. Was a fun build. Feel free to ask any questions or help with any comments.

Thanks,
Bob

Rest of the photos are in my gallery,
kilntime Gallery
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Looks good mate. I also like the short cover, it gives the model a look all of it's own.

I cannot quite see on the pics but did you fill the drainage slot holes along the sides?

Cheers
Cliff

PS> welcome to the site and the softskin forum. I really hope you will enjoy it here.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
That looks great. I like the sandbags. Did they really do that?
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 03:09 PM UTC
looks good. i like the weathering..the canvass top and sand bags. so that's how the canvass top look . thanks for sharing.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 05:25 PM UTC
Very, very nice.. the weathering is just spot on. I love that short cover and the 'dusty' finish. It really shows it as what it was most of the time, a road truck....
There is only one thing I noticed, and that might well be the picture, the sand bags look a bit 'molded in one piece'.. maybe a dark wash would add some definition?

I have a DUKW as part of a project, and although it will be a very 'wet' DUKW, if it ends up half as good as this, I'll be quite happy..

Cheers
Henk
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
Thanks for looking,

Cliff, Looking at the pics I had I didn't even notice the short cover untill I did a zoom on it, all 3 had these bars sticking up and the last in line had the cover up. Another photo showed a closeup of where the bar was.
I didn't fill in the holes down the side, sorry for the pics.

Alan, I've seen sand bags in some photos, but not very many. I just had the verlinden kit and figured I'd just as well use it.

Henk I hope that explains the molded look, it was.

Everyone thanks for the comments,
Bob

Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
It's a very good delivery of the DUKW! Very well painted and weathered! And with a nice load! Congratulations!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
 _GOTOTOP