_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Your attention please for Walcheren '44 !!
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi all,

Ad (zeeuwtje), a Dutch armorama member, has set up the Walcheren '44 campaign some time ago. The campaign is running now since 1st May, but doesn't get much attention. Ad and I agreed I'd try to get the campaign a bit under your attention in the international forum.

Why I do this? Two reasons: Ad is a great guy so I don't mind helping him at all and also becasue Walcheren '44 is a campaign about a piece of WW2 history which isn't very well know, but still very very interesting!

What is so interesting about Walcheren '44? It's about the battle for the Scheldt. The Scheldt is the entrance to the harbour of Antwerp which the Allies needed so hard because their supply lines were streched from Normandy to Belgium.
After the failure of Arnhem, Montgomery decided to clear out the Scheldt area to make the use of Antwerp possible. On this map you can see the Allies had to clear Zeeuws-Vlaanderen, Walcheren and Zuid-Beveland to make the route safe for ships.

The campaign is interesting on 4 fronts:

- Armour
- Figures
- Warships
- Aircraft

So, for most of you there should be something interesting.

The operation was built up in a series of small actions. Canadian ground forces would clear Zuid-Beveland, British troops cleared Zeeuws-Vlaanderen and amphibious assaults with commandos were needed to liberate Walcheren.

Walcheren, from which the campaign has it's name, was a fortification with a lot of heavy gun emplacements, bunkers, anti-tank and infantry obstacles.....it was one of the best defended pieces of the Atlantikwall. To take Walcheren. the Allies bombed the sea dykes and the island flooded. Germans had to run for their lives, as well as a lot of civils......Still the Germans had heavy stuff in the dunes and killed some Allied ships during the landing.

Ad lives there btw, that explains his interest in this battle. I visit Walcheren every year, trying to visit as much bunkers as possible!

So, what kind of models could you built?

Armour

M4A4 Sherman
Sherman firefly
Sherman crab
Churchill AVRE
LVT-4 Buffalo
M29 Weasel
Armoured Bulldozers
Brencarrier
British/Commonwealth trucks etc
DUWK

Figures

British/Commonwealth Commandos
British/Commonwealth infantry
German infantry (wehrmacht, kriegsmarine)

Warships

Landingcraft (LCT)
HMS Warspite

Aircraft

Lancaster bombers
Mosquito fighter bombers

Diorama related

Diorama's including bunkers etc
Also: field artillery: 150mm German field guns, 5cm KwK, 10.5cm FLAK

If anyone has any questions about the battle.....I can anwser a lot of them, you can also contact Ad (zeeuwtje).

Well, after telling you a bit about this campaign I hope more of you want to join. It really is an interesting part of WW2 history and I hope that more of you will learn about it thanks to this campaign.

Walcheren '44 campaign page:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=80

Some interesting pics and info can be found in Concord's publication "British tanks in Holland and Germany". I don't know any other English publications about this subject, just Dutch ones....

Are you gonna join Walcheren '44?

Martin
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
I joined this Campaign a while ago, but I do go to the Dutch site regularly, your excellent write up for this Campaign will no doubt see a lot of 'internationals' joining in..

Well done Martin

Groeten
Henk
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I joined this Campaign a while ago, but I do go to the Dutch site regularly, your excellent write up for this Campaign will no doubt see a lot of 'internationals' joining in..

Well done Martin

Groeten
Henk

Yeah the Dutch section does pay little attention to it...not much but still....there doesn't happen anything in the international forum...and that's no good, cause it can become a real fun campaign!

So...who's gonna follow Henk's great example...and join Walcheren'44? :-)

One of the Shermanholics perhaps?

Martin
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:49 AM UTC
The great thing about this Campaign is that it realy goes across the whole gamma of modeling, wingnuts can build the planes, the seadogs have plenty of choice to get wet feet, dio builders can get their teeth into something entirely different...9 Dykes and submerged buildings...) and figures and armour go without saying of course.

Cheers
Henk
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The great thing about this Campaign is that it realy goes across the whole gamma of modeling, wingnuts can build the planes, the seadogs have plenty of choice to get wet feet, dio builders can get their teeth into something entirely different...9 Dykes and submerged buildings...) and figures and armour go without saying of course.

Cheers
Henk

Yep, something for almost everybody, still connected because they participated in this event
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm starting to build a bunker from Atlantik Wall, so I'll confirm if that type of bunker exists at Walcheren area and if so I'll join.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I'm starting to build a bunker from Atlantik Wall, so I'll confirm if that type of bunker exists at Walcheren area and if so I'll join.

Hey

I've got a pretty good view and info on Atlantikwall bunkers at Walcheren. If you show me the type you want to built, I can check whether it was there....

Martin
zeeuwtje
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 09:30 AM UTC
Well done Martin

Thank you for helping me out.
My Englisch writting is not what it just to be.

Groeten
Ad ( Zeeuwtje)
 _GOTOTOP