Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Sheridan
goldwizard
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
Does anyone know whether this kit is any good? Because I was thinking about building it for the Welcome To The Nam campaign. If you have any pictures of your completed model that would also be helpful.

Thanks Joe.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
See our reviews section. Pawel did a very thorough review of the kit.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
Of the three kits I know of and seen Academy,Tamiya and Jaguar it is the middle of the road.The review makes clear in it has alot of problems.

In my humble opinion if you are not a rivet counter the Academy is the way to go unless you can find and afford the Jaguar kit.

If you want to do a Sheridan get the Academy kit.

Thats my two cents.

Jim
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of the three kits I know of and seen Academy,Tamiya and Jaguar it is the middle of the road.The review makes clear in it has alot of problems.

In my humble opinion if you are not a rivet counter the Academy is the way to go unless you can find and afford the Jaguar kit.

If you want to do a Sheridan get the Academy kit.

Thats my two cents.

Jim

Ditto on this statement. If you want to have fun and build a close example and not worry about the rivets then I would build this one for the campaign. Remember building is for the fun and enjoyment of the hobby. If you want one that is exact buy the real thing.LOL. Go for it and enjoy.
goldwizard
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 05:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments but after reading the reading the review of the academy kit, and seeing the price of the jaguar kit, I think that I may have to choose a different subject.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
methinks your subject is fine
the m551 by academy is a close to best as the wallet can afford

for the dio, if it is like an ndp, the cover and camo can help conceal what isn't there.

reb
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 03:03 PM UTC
Go for it Joe, it looks like a Sheridan, and other than Jaguars resin beast which costs an arm and a leg, its the most accurate Nam sheridan out there, considering there are only 2 others :-)
The kit has been flamed a hell of alot around here but that hasnt stopped me from wanting to buy it, and thinking it still looks good!
Cheers
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 03:21 PM UTC
I wouldn't let the review dissuade you. It still builds into a very nice representation of a Sheridan. It may not be 100% accurate, but it still is close enough and it looks correct when done.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC
Joe,

If after reading the review you feel you don't want the kit - then don't buy it. If after reading the review you are still interested - get it. Don't let anyone persuade you to buy the kit if you feel you may not like it.

In the end it must be your decision and the review is only meant to give you information to make it an informed decision. Posts from other modelers here are also just that: sources of additional information that should help you in deciding. I believe it could help you even more if anyone would show some of those good looking Sheridan models built from Academy kit.

Pawel
 _GOTOTOP