_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Comments on Tamiya king Tiger?
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hi,

Can someone comment on the Tamiya Item 35252 | German King Tiger (Ardennes Front).

How is it in regards to accuracy and ease of building?

I never did a German tank before but I just think that this beast looks awesome

#:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC
Ronny,

I had built this kit few months ago. I am not a bolt counter, so I cannot comment on accuracy.

The build is real good, very standard New Tamiya fit. I only change the tracks with Modelkasten tracks (If you are not too fussy about it, you can use the kit tracks as well, and if you attach all the side skirt/fender, the kit tracks is alright), I also used a turned barrel, and the only PE that I myself think is necessary is you might want to get the screen for the engine deck.

It's a nice kit, I think you will definitely enjoy it. And for a huge tank, it doesn't even have that many parts....
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:24 AM UTC
I built a Tiger from Tamiya about 10 years ago and I loved it. It is most likely not the same as the one you are looking at.
but it was one of the reasons I enjoyed getting in to armor. If you got the money for it buy it and build it. Tamiya has
always been consistant with quality.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
The new King Tiger Ardennes Offensive is a wonderful kit. Top notch Tamiya quality, plus it's a dio in a box with three good figures and a motorbike. I built mine OOTB, but now I have bought a new King Tiger (with Porsche turret) and I have got a Jordi Rubio barrel, Royal Model PE, and Model Kasten tracks for it. I would recommend getting the replacement tracks as I didn't particularly like the vinyl ones. Like Dave said, PE is useful for the grilles, but Tamiya does provide enough mesh with the kit to make all the grilles you need on your own.

Nic
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC
Ronny,
The King Tiger has been around for a while; however, this new "Ardennes" version breathes some new life into the kit.

The ultimate list of "comments" can be found here.

I have built the other two King Tiger kits and have enjoyed the simple construction, overall quality of the fit and the general accuracy of this model.

Later,
Tim
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
I didn't mention that. The King Tiger itself is the same one that came out in 1993 or 1994, but quality is just as good as anything they make today, in my opinion.

Nic
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 03:33 PM UTC
I'm building it now, I think it's a very nice kit.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 11:49 AM UTC
I just measured the dimensions of my King Tiger, and they all matched well with the dimensions listed in resources I have. I can't wait to get started on my Porsche turret version, but I better figure out how to do zimmerit first

Nic
plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 04:42 PM UTC
forgive my former post that was my hunting tiger I am doing a porsche tiger on the bench now. got my tigers mixed up (bald moment )lol
 _GOTOTOP