_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BMP-2
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hello

I am looking for reference pics of a bmp-2. Especially the ones where the vehicle is painted for the parade on the red scare. (With the white paint)

And which colour do I use best for the vehicle??? I normaly use paint from tamiya and revell. But don't know which green to use....

Greetz Roel
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Any variation of dark green works. From my experience no one actually knows what color to use. I would use a dark green that you like. Pictures are scarce but you may try the following link:
http://aeronautics.ru/archive/armored_vehicles/

Not really any pictures on this site but he has links to many others that might work.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
I've got a couple of pics (color and B&W). They may help even if I don't think I've all the faces.

PM your e-mail address and I'll send them to you ASAP.

olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:51 PM UTC
The best help I can offer is this.

Use a nice dark green for the overall color. Not only is a parade vehicle going to be freshly painted, I have pictures of both US and Soviet vehicles that were rubbed down with diesel fuel to help shine them up to look even better when on display, so you can think about that too.

For a BMP-2, there were many ways to do the white striping...I have seen almost a different pattern for every year they have a parade. :-) The most obvious places to paint white are the center wheel "hub-caps", the outside ring of the main searchlight, edging of the side skirts...

Here is a link to pics of my IT-1 in parade dress. I know it is not the exact same, but it will give you a good idea:

http://saammodels.tripod.com/companies/spdesigns/T62/it1/index.htm
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hello

I've got about 200-300 BMP 1, 2 & 3 photos. If you can't find what you need PM me and I will send you a truckload o photos.

Good Luck
N E O

RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hello

Thanks for the replies already. They were very helpfull. The vehicle is put togheter and now ready for painting. But it is not as easy as I Thought it would be :-)

I studied many pics and they are all different so a mix of white strippes will do I Think.
I will keep you updated and will also post a Build Rep on my website next week with some pictures.

Greetz Bye
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
Forgot to ask the previous post.
The picture should be a BMP ready for the parade in Moscow. I think Rust tracks are not done???
I really don't know what colour to give to the tracks.... And are the all Metal or rubber blocks as well???

Thanks Roel
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hello

yesterday evening I gave my BMP the base colour. Modelmaster russian armor green. Let it dry over night but this morning I found out that the paint is not matt but shiny....... WHat to do????
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi Roel,
first of all the tracks are metal ones. Paint them NATO black and give them a metallic look with some graphite powder.

second the Russian green is quite shiny but spray a matt varnish coat over it and it will look better. anyway don't forget that for parades military vehicles are thouroughly cleaned and often brushed with fuel oil to give them a bright aspect.

olivier
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
hi,

Ook gestart aan een bmp-2 (aja bedankt voor de fotos,ze waren zeer helpvol.). Ik ben bezig met een bmp-2 tijdens de Afghaanse campagne.

succes met je project!

Q
 _GOTOTOP