_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How was this done?
Anthony14
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
Hi guys, I won’t to know how this was done, the camo fades into the base very nicely, but it dose not look like it was done with an airbrush - was it?

Also, it has this kind of dirty look to it, how could you do that?

I'm sorry if these questions are hard to answer but it just looks really good.

Here is the pic...

More can be found here... (these pics were posted some time ago)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5977351447&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I want to know so I can see if I can 'copy' the results cause it is very good.

Thanks for any help...
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 04:01 PM UTC
Definitely think it was done by an airbrush. I don't think there is any way to get nice feathered edges like that without one. How the modeler did that though is up for debate. Could have used a raised mask (where a stiff paper cut-out of the camo pattern is placed on top of coiled Blue-Tac or silly putty; the paint is then sprayed at a 90 degree angle to the mask and some of the spray leaks under the mask, leaving a nice blend into the base color) or, more impressive, just used the airbrush itself and a combination of low air pressure and a higher-than-normal thinned paint ratio. Hope this helps.
Kyle
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 04:20 PM UTC
I've done something close(quite a few years ago).The cam. colours were thinned down so they almost look like ink.Then sprayed it in my pattern free hand over and over untill I was happy.With the washes and dry brushing it looked close.

I'll and that mine was not nearly as good,but I was happy at the time.

Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 05:15 PM UTC
If I would want to make such a dirty look, I'd use oil paints and white spirit. But I don't know if this person has done the same thing...

Nice model, that's for sure!

Martin
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 07:21 PM UTC
Here is my guess...

After the camo was painted/finished, the kit was given an acrylic wash (alcohol + dark wash color). Either there was no clear gloss coat or a clear flat coat was used.

This is just a guess I think I was able to achieve the same result by accident....see below...

BTW, that KT is very very well done

Cheers
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 04:04 PM UTC
Excellent suggestion! I've contacted many "pro-finish" modellers selling their wares on eBay. Most are happy to explain a certain technique. And some will gracefully accept criticism and tips to improve their "pro-finish" models.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC
As for the fading effect, more than likely the camo colors were thinned and applied in successive layers, building up to where the builder was happy with the look. I use the same technique when going for that look. Filters will also help tie everything together, not to mention the wash. "Q"
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 05:31 AM UTC
Very nice model. My only question is this -- Is this supposed to be serving in March 1945, or a March 1945 production? Because it is not a March 1945 production. Just curious.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
- that is Daryl Dancik's model - he has his own website: http://www.tigerwerk.com/
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC
Alex is correct. Daryl relies heavily on post shading and "filters" to acheive this look. In fact its almost his signature ont he model. Ask him, he is very friendly and more than willing to share his techniques. He usually posts on WW2 ModelMaker. Im sure you can find his email addy over there if not on his site.
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
Amazing work. Just so darn good......
 _GOTOTOP