_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
What scale is...
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi there!
Does anybody could tell me what scale are the drawings in the Osprey books? I mean, the armour ones.....
Any help?
Cheers!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC
Paulo, while I don't own any of the Osprey books, I've looked at them a number of times, and to the best of my recollection the drawings are in 1/72 scale...I could be wrong. Perhaps someone here owns one where you can get a diffinitive answer.

BTW, while looking around for books today I came across one and thought of you. It's a book about the Brazillian Expeditionary Force in WWII!!! :-) It's titled "Na Segunda Guerra Mundial" by L.B. Montiero. Looks real cool, and best of all it comes with a decal sheet in 1/72 and 1/35th for their markings on your models!!!! Unreal! They look great! Just scroll to the bottom of the page on this link. The decals have a link too along with the publisher where you can get it.
Of course if you already know all this...err...uhhh...disregard all the above...lol.

http://www.burleehost.net/ontheway/bookreviews/bookreviews.htm
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC
Beto,
You can find out if you know the dimensions of the REAL vehicle. That kind of information you can probably find on the internet. That's how I work with scratchbuilding. I NEVER trust the scales that are printed on plans like that. By dividing the real dimensions through the scale drawing dimensions, you know the scale. Then all you have to do is convert that size to the scale you're modeling in. This gives you a certain figure. Multiply any of the plans dimensions with that figure and ::::bang !::::: your model is half finished already !

Jan
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
Jan, many thanks IŽll ttry it today...
Ken, As I said you later on, this book is real good (otherwise for the decals sheet :-) ) and the decals are right quality...I got a sample and you gonna see a brazilian armour soon...
Cheers (Tchau! = Bye bye!)
Beto
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
Howdy,
Generalfailure is right about not trusting printed pictures for proper measurements but looking at the Osprey books i have the color plates of the vehicles look more 1/48 to me.
Happy Modeling
modelmaniac
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody could tell me what scale are the drawings in the Osprey books? I mean, the armour ones

OK, I just took a look in a couple and they are marked "1/76 scale drawings". These are the line drawings. The color plates seem to be drawn to fit the page. These are the Osprey "New Vanguard" series of books.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thanks Ron!
I also guessed it....
Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP