Hosted by Darren Baker
newbie at buildings
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2005 - 11:17 PM UTC
hi there, im kinda new to makin buildings so i need lots of help from u guys..
basically im trying to build a ww2 building..any simple building will do coz this is my first tryout..i have styrene to make the building but can it be substitute to another material?
i also need to know the measurements and design of european buildings during that era...how abt the debris and all the stuff lying ard the street?
i need help on this, so if someone is kind enough to tell me, pls do so...thanx...
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 02:29 AM UTC
Daniel, poke around at the reference galleries this should give you some ideas of styles. There are many good reference sources to look up. You need to be a little more specific in what you are looking for. What kind of scene are you looking to do? Where in Europe would you like this scene to take place.

As for type of materials, there is all kinds that you can use. Styrofoam is excellent many times you can find it for free. Plaster, wood, plastic and cork. I see that you are new to the sight, but there are many articals here at Armorama that will benefit you. Give us a little more about your ideas and we will do our best to assist you with your building.

Paul
ekke
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC
Don't concentrate on one specific material, mix them up depending on what you like to work with, what effects you want to achieve and what's available in your hobbyroom.
I always like to take all sorts of stuff that are left from other projects and to make cheap new things out of them, no matter if it's wood, plaster, styrene, styrofoam, ceramics...
Just play around a little bit an soon youl find out which materials you like best.

Best wishes,
ekke
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 03:23 AM UTC
Definitly go to the Gallery and look in the diorama reference section. What you'll need to do on the scale and measurements is do conversion on your own. And here's how if you don't already know. 1 Measure a 1:1 version of what you are making ie a door. Use this as your base measurement. 2 find an image you like or want to reproduce and measure the door on that image. 3. This will give you a ratio or 1:1 to the image 4. Using that ration measure and convert the basic distances between doors windows etc 5. Use the new measurements and convert to your model scale (1/35 or 1/72) using a scale calculator.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
Hi!
Very interesting project. You could try visit http://www.verlinden-productions.com for reference on buildings. Just to give you an idea of how windows, doors, facades etc could look like.
I also build houses/building using styrfene, and mixes it up with other materials - as ekke points out. Its - in my opinion - what modelmaking is all about. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Good luck with it.

Simon
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 05:41 PM UTC
thanx for the ideas guys...
 _GOTOTOP