_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Flora & Fauna
Trees, shrubs, nature and animals.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Splish Splash II: The experiments continue...
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 08:53 AM UTC
Darn, it's tough to create a realistic, reasonably calm, somewhat wavey, windstruck, yet soft water surface as would be relatively common in the archipelago of Stockholm during the summer... (that's all that i ask for!)

For those of you that wishes to learn from the mistakes of others (i.e. me!), look no further!

Fig 1 - Calm surface (before the waves). The water is made of Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water" (a whole bottle for this little pond). Between certain layers, I've used highly diluted blueish, blackish and greenish acrylics.

Once the top layer has been allowed to dry for approx. 48 hours, it was time to try out different "goos" for the waves. The pictures below shows how the different materials looked approx. 12 hours after they had been applied.

Fig 2 - Super glue (gel) - No waves and a lot of foginess of the surface. Didn't work for me at all.

Fig 3 - Humbrol ClearFix - Difficult to acheive any shape other than one long line. Too gooey!

Fig 4 - Woodland Scenics "Water Effects" (the lower waves) - A lot better than the others. Shapeable... Let's try!!

And thus, the puddle was filled with (what woulf hopefully result in) the perfect soft wavey surface...

Fig 5 - After approx. 12 hours - From a distance, the surface looked very realistic. Close up, however, the edges of the waves etc looked a little too sharp. (I didn't want any foam on my soft waves. No sweat though, since I knew that the the material would turn more transparent once it was totally dry)

Fig 6 - After approx. 36 hours. The water has calmed down. This sinking effect continued though, and after approx. 60 hours there were hardly any waves left!!! (Please note that the original splash has almost disappeared due to the rising water level. I'll have to do a new one once I'm happy with the surface)

Fig 7 - Don't ever surrender! Let's add another layer! A little more "umph!" this time. And if this layer doesn't cut it, I'll be back with yet another... and then another...

Additional reports will follow. In the meantime, I'd love your comments and help!!!

Cheers!
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
Your experiment and dio is getting more and more interesting each time you post a photo! Keep up the good work and kepp us posted!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 06:47 AM UTC
Interesting problem. Try clear caulk (weather sealant).

Art
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 01:16 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing your experiments. Its informative as we all really learn only from mistakes. I've had my fair share making some as regards to water. I enjoyed your tips on the splash as well. Good stuff.

As a possible alternative you may want to try polyurethane glue (Selleys). It has a drying time about 2-3 hours and after 1hour you can use a stick to muck it up to create the waves you want and it should be able to maintain its shape. Apply as you did with the Humbrol but in more wavy and closer lines.

PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Beachbum! Your results look very interesting. You seem to have accomplished the soft edge waves that I'm looking for.

Art, I've been recommended this on another forum. Have you tried it? Any pictures?

Cheers!!
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beachbum! Your results look very interesting. You seem to have accomplished the soft edge waves that I'm looking for.

Art, I've been recommended this on another forum. Have you tried it? Any pictures?

Cheers!!

No, I haven' t tried it for modeling yet, but working with it around the house has peaked my interest. Let me know how it comes out.

Art
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hey Polarbear
Have tried the silicone (caulk) method at least in some small sized pools, and whilst they were designed to have no wave effects at all, I found that by using Mineral turps (I guess thinners would work also?) I could smooth out the surface to almost glass, so I don't think that you would have any probs softening the edges of your waves/ripples... Unless of course something reacts badly I know nothing about... :-)
Brad
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
Looks nice your dio. Hope my water comes along good...
How much does a bottle of realistic water cost???

Cheers Roel
 _GOTOTOP