_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Armorama Calendar - Poll Question
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 05:09 PM UTC
I know this is not a great idea because of costs, but I will throw it up anyway. Maybe we could have a few different calendars. One with Armor models, one with aircraft, one with figures, etc.

I know it isn't possible to make a bunch of different calendars but I thought I would see what others think on the calendar topic whether it is about what I posted or something else.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 05:21 PM UTC
Andrew,
I was actually just thinking whether the single calendar idea should perhaps encompass more than just armor or AFV subjects. Would be easier to get a range of subjects that's for sure. Would people still want to buy it with all types of military models and not strickly AFVs?

The next poll question perhaps?

Ken (Kencelot) is the driving force behind this idea (meaning he deserves the credit), so we can see what he thinks. I would be open to anything that can help the site out and provide a product that users would embrace and utilize.

Cheers,
Jim
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi guys

I NEVER see armor calendars in a store. There are plane, car, truck and animal calendars up the ying-yang, but nothing for armor and figures. I'd only buy the calendar if it was armor/figure related. That's what the market is missing.

Andy
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hmm... Since the issue has come up that any model photos used in a calendar would have to be large and high quality, I had an idea:
Why not use a picture of a real AFV as the center of the frame, with different model photos around the border. This could leave space for a 'specs cube' that tells the statistics of the vehicle. Armamanet, armor, engines, speed, developer, etc.

YodaMan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC
OK, everyone have a photo of themselves on the nearest armored vehicle taken in a swimsuit (no Speedos please). Send them into Jim and he'll put together one for us.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:22 AM UTC
Or perhaps something like this:

Pardons to the lady modelers. We are pigs I know.

Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:28 AM UTC
Jim, Jim, Jim,
Love the idea in the last post. I'd be sleeping at my model table as well as building if I got that one though.
If we had WWII nose art for AFVs I'd swing that one.
Seriously I like the armor calander idea.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim

OK, that was not what I meant when I said "...real AFV as the center of the frame, with different model photos around the border..."
...but I like it! :-) :-) :-)

Quoted Text

I'm beginning to get the feeling this dosen't go away with age.... Ya know, that's the best pic I've seen of a Sherman!

YodaMan
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC
In my opinion Id like to see the calendar with the model as the main picture and smaller one of the real thing as a surround! or informative addition. Maybe even a pre-painting picture as well. After all this is a modelling group.

Just my humble opinion.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hi all!
I do agree with the Plasticbattle comment, its a modeling site, so the calendar should be in a modeling subject...
just my two cents (real)
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC
Jim, It's getting too darn cold to pose on a tank in a swimsuit..... #:-) Since you do have a LARGE selection of models in the gallery, that's what I'd go with if I were you. But, I'm not you.... Go with your gut feeling..... :-) :-) I would still buy one no matter what pictures were in it.

RECON !!!!!!!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go with your gut feeling..... :-) :-)

Hey, if you went with my suggestion, we'd see plenty of "gut".
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:10 PM UTC
if only kits came with figures like that..... #:-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John,
Lol. Unfortunately these babes came with a '69 Pontiac GTO. They were on the hood.

Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John,
Lol. Unfortunately these babes came with a '69 Pontiac GTO. They were on the hood.

Jim

Must....resist....siren....call....of....car....modelling.....

"But honey! Those babes are historical figures! They boosted morale!...."

#:-)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:42 PM UTC
Jim - I say let's do the calendar featuring the Top 12 "Hall of Fame" articles....
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why not use a picture of a real AFV as the center of the frame, with different model photos around the border. This could leave space for a 'specs cube' that tells the statistics of the vehicle. Armamanet, armor, engines, speed, developer, etc.

I like this idea the best so far.

We could display more models by putting them around the edge. If we have say a sherman one of the months are we going to go with Kenc or Gunnie? If we have a picture of a real sherman we can put them both around the edge of the real sherman along with other peoples sherman models. Out of all the great work there is on this site I would hate to have to be the one to pick only 12 for a calendar.

It would also be cool to have a little information about the vehicle as Yoda stated.

Of course on the calendar along with holidays we would have to have the dates of major military events.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC
I think an armor calendar is a great idea! I can find aircraft calendars anywhere but an armor calender is very rare.
I agree that it should be photos of models since that is the heart of this site. and I'll offer an idea to go along with the others found here. Pick a subject for each month and put several models of that subject on the picture portion. One month Shermans, one month King Tigers, etc. Even do one month for figures since that seems to be a popular thought too. That way we get to see lots of great models every month.
Bt the way...that must be a British Sherman with the girls since it's right hand drive (look at the picture again and ignore the girls this time).
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also vote for this. I agree with the comment that Andrew H. made about it only having armor subject though. I see calenders with every other subject matter except tanks.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jim

OK, that was not what I meant when I said "...real AFV as the center of the frame, with different model photos around the border..."
...but I like it! :-) :-) :-)

Quoted Text

I'm beginning to get the feeling this dosen't go away with age.... Ya know, that's the best pic I've seen of a Sherman!

YodaMan

Yes this is what I would want on mine
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 04:55 PM UTC
I love the model on the armor idea, if it's too difficult to do, I will settle for the model only version. #:-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bt the way...that must be a British Sherman with the girls since it's right hand drive (look at the picture again and ignore the girls this time).

Mel,
You caught me. I guess I could have reverse-imaged the women easier.

It was shot via a mirror setup. Yup! That's my story and I am sticking with it.

Jim
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC
What are the odds of seeing a calendar? Are you just floating some ideas around Jim, or are you guys serious about this? I would love one!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC
Frank,
It's really going to come down to getting enough good image submissions (high resolution) to choose from.

I will be putting out a formal plea here and across the net soon.

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the odds of seeing a calendar? Are you just floating some ideas around Jim, or are you guys serious about this? I would love one!

Quite serious! It's becoming a matter of time now. November is just about here and we have only a few pics available thus far. Setting up the pics along with implementing several of the ideas from this post increases the amount of design time needed. Not to mention the print time.
We have several working formats for the calendar but will need more time to include things like vehicle descriptions and modeling events.
I'll try to post a pic of one or two af the formats for one of the months later today.
 _GOTOTOP