_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Fruilmodel tracks question
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC
I have a question about Fruilmodel tracks I know that you use a small wire pin to hold them together,but how stable is that pin? Can it vibrate out? The reason I ask is because I drive tractor trailer and was wondering if those pins would vibrate out I'm debating on whether to buy Fruilmodel or I belive it's Armor tracks for my M24 Chaffe The armor tracks are plastic
Chad #:-)
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 09:16 AM UTC
Chad,
The wire that comes in the box with the Friulmodel tracks is usually to small for the holes that are molded into the links. Usually, I replace the wire with a brass or steel wire that fits into holes much better.

During part clean up, I drill each link to ensure that all of the holes are open. I use a bit that's the same size as the wire... that way every thing fits nice and snug.

If you use the wire that is provided, a tiny drop of gel super glue usually keeps the wire in place.

For the Chaffee... I think that the Armour Track Models tracks might be even better than Friulmodel.... besides you get the resin idlers and sprockets also.

Later,
Tim
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
What I do is use Brass wire cheap and glues easy. Get about a least a dozen wires going at the same time clean all the track holes with small bit insert wire to end pull back a little cut{what is needed is good pair of flush cutters} do a run take a pin and from a small drop of super glue just touch the ends. Then don't froget that if you don't use flush cutters then you need to file the little flares off the ends of the wires to push them through holes again.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:40 AM UTC
I like to leave the last few pins loose until I'm sure what lenth I want . Somtimesyou need toadd or subtract one to get the right sag.

Josh
aKA shiryon
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
I've always just used the wire provided with the Friulmodel tracks. I drill out the holes, put the wire into the hole while it is still on the roll that is provided with the tracks, cut it with flush cutters, and put a small drop of CA onto the end. I've never had the tracks fall apart yet.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies and help gentlemen I know the Fruil set also includes sprokets and idler wheels with the Chaffe tracks But another question would be ,if I use a drop of super glue to hold the pins in would they still be workable? I guess if I'm real careful where I put the glue on they would still be workable
Chad #:-)
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 02:48 PM UTC
They should still be workable, I use the same technique described above, using the wire supplied and a drop of CA glue on end. Sometimes some links get a little stiff, but I can usually work them around and they are fine. I Love the Fruil tracks, i think nothing looks as good, if only they weren't so expensive!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:09 PM UTC
Howdy 'Zod,

(nice to yak at ya again! :-) )
I completely agree with Bribo above! I have almost exclusively used Fruil's for most of my kits (mostly german) and can only say "nothing looks as good as the real thing (metal)" IMHO.
But recently I have embraced the Sherman (that's right ladies and gentlemen, Tread is slowly becoming a conscript to the 'Shermanaholic's' club!) and have had to rethink my application of the Fruil's to the subject matter (sabot's and other's reference to the difference's are eye-opening).
Wish there was something in-between..........yeah, yeah, I know......yeech.

Tread.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:18 AM UTC
Generalzod,

I have never had any problems with the tracks becoming unworkable due to the CA glue. I agree with the other comments about nothing looking better than Friulmodel (at least for my typical subjects).

Treadhead,

I am ashamed to admit that I too am being somewhat afflicted by "Shermanaholism". In building the Italeri M4A1 for the group build I decided that I liked the kit and vehicle enough to buy a few more and do some other versions such as the M4A1 with 75mm and an M4A1 with a mineroller.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 01:05 PM UTC
Once again gentlemen,you too treadhead #:-) ,thank youfor the replies and help I will deffinetly go for the Fruilmodel tracks for my Chaffe One word of caution,once you start building Shermans you don't want to stop As far as link to link tracks use either the AFV Club or RHPS They are snap together type,sp they aren't to bad
Chad
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hey! You want some great fodder for an emerging 'Shermanaholic'? Then pick up a copy of Zaloga's new book US Tank Battles in Germany 1944-45 of the 'armor at war series'.
Unbelievable pics of everything from 'Jumbo's' to M4 Calliope's to the DD's. He's got photo's of the different Ordinance units and their 'take' on up-armouring their tanks. The Ninth with their steel rack, sandbags and camo netting. The 12th's application of a concrete slab over the glacis plate. And the 11th's use of scavenged armour plate from other knocked out tanks.
Great stuff!
He even has a photo of a couple of M4 Crocodile flamethrower's!

Tread.

Get a copy!!

In fact, if you dyed-in-the-wool Shermanaholic's don't get a copy.........well, you should be ashamed of yourself!
#:-) #:-) #:-)
 _GOTOTOP